Amplifier Bypass?

Atomic77

Hello and thanks for your expertise in advance. Although I'm not new to stereo systems, I do have something new that I haven't dealt with before. I am installing a simple, 4-Speaker Coaxial System in my camper trailer with a Mechless Bluetooth Head unit. I doubt that I've ever run solely off a head unit, and figure I won't start now so I would like some amplification even if it's just something small and simple. Here's the issue. I have set my camper up for boondocking, or off-grid camping with a nice battery bank and a solar panel. From previous experience, I know that an amp will drain my batteries down pretty quick when not plugged into a 120V source. Therefore, how can I use an amplifier, but bypass it to be able to use the head unit solo when I'm running purely off my battery bank? I have even considered an old school, eq/booster because I know they have a bypass button, but it's almost impossible to find those anymore! I appreciate any good feedback I can get. Thank you!

be honest man idk if anyone can tell u how to run on amp and then on hu.. only thing u can do is get big bank of agm batterys or $2k lithium batt and even they will run on using amp.. only other thing i can tell u is sony does have a hu that actually does 40rms x4 i think it's like $250 just use that with 2 agm batts but u run it for hours still gonna drain batts..

Why not do something a lot more simple?

Install a low voltage cut off trigger meter. We sell more than 1 different kind.

Set it something high so you can still play.

Basically, you would set it to a point that you do not want the voltage to drop below with the amplifier on at full potential.

Once it does, it shuts the amp off.

Then once you turn it back on, turn the volume down but keep everything connected the same.

There is no need to physically disconnect speakers from the amplifier. Any amplifier can output as low of power as a headunit.

There is no need to physically disconnect speakers from the amplifier. Any amplifier can output as low of power as a headunit.
That way he'd still be using at least double the power than he would doing it the way he's thinking about. (If the amp would indeed function at the lower voltage)

Why couldn't you split the output speaker wires from the HU with 2 double throw/double pole switches? A set of speakers on each...then mount the switches somewhere inconspicuous. Then you flip the switches for the speakers, and turn off the amp...(it would have to be on a switch too) then play just through the HU. Something like this...

8c40bc33b82ca698c5a16150e9435f16.jpg

The red S for your switches.

It's definitely an interesting idea.

Put the phone down and DRIVE!!

It's easily possible but I wouldn't suggest switching while stereo is on... which goes back to... you have to constantly monitor voltage for your preference until you know when to switch.. otherwise, just turn it down when a trigger device tells you it's too low.. something you program yourself.

Just use some dp/dt relays and a switch to operate them.

I'm thinking you won't be switching between amp and radio much, just using the amp when your hooked to 120v power and using the radio when your out on your battery bank with no power to hook to correct?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.