Amp wiring right?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Haden
10+ year member

Dr Gibbles
Here
Hey guys, I bought a truck recently and noticed it still had amp wiring from the last owner. I have a MTX 1500w amp (i think 750 rms) that i want to hook up. The power cable already in the truck is 8ga. Will the amp be fine on this power cable? Ive tried lookin this up but it seems everywhere says different power ratings for different cables. It would be much more convenient to just use the cable thats in the truck but i also want to get all i can from the amp.

yes. 8ga is usually only recommended for up to 1000watts I believe. you have 750rms which is fine, but to achieve your 1500 peak the wiring will help to get the MOST out of your amp IMO

4ga @ the minimum for your application. 8ga should really only be used for running 400w or less.

thanks there. Was trying to help out the best I could. I thought it was 1000watts.

Hope you get everything ran right!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.