Amp want power on...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jusaplaya

I had a dhd dual amp kit powering my last setup. The dual amp kit will power my 4 channel, but for some reason it will not power my new rockford fosgate 1000 watt amp. The dual amp kit had 1 blown 30 amp fuse. I replaced that fuse with a 40 amp I got at the auto parts store. I got 12 volts going to the fosgate 1000. When I turn the system on the voltage drops from 12 volts to 4 volts. My 4 channel turns on and plays fine. It is has proper voltage going to it. The other side wire voltage drops out very quickly. I am guessing I need a good 4 gauge amp kit just for my new 1000 watt amp. 60 amp fuses at 14 volts is not a 1000 watts. Any recommend a decent amp kit for this amp. Thanks for your time. **** I was hoping to listen to this amp..

The Rockford is probably fused at around 90 amps. I would run a good 4 gauge kit. No junk, look into new konceptz or audioteknix wire kits.

I would not try to run the Rockford again until you have adequate wiring. There is a reason the wire is fused so low, its to protect the wire from being damaged due to too much current. If you keep doing this, and putting a bigger and bigger fuse on the wire, you will end up with a car fire from the wire overheating.

On top of the above mentioned issues, you face killing your Rockford amp because of under voltage issues. If your Rockford is 1000 watts, that's about 85 amps alone of current, on top of that your running a "4 channel" amp. I would like to assume its around 300 watts, so that's another 25 amps. Your totaling around 110 amps on an 8 gauge wire kit. Not to mention its off brand wire. Which probably is not really 8 gauge.

Personally, I would try and run a zero gauge kit, and use a distribution block in the back, and go down to 4 gauge for the Rockford, and 8 gauge for the smaller amp. I would also look into upgrading your big three while your at it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.