Amp turns off when..

Hey guys, I'm new here but I thought I would give it a try to ask for help hoping someone can solve my problem. So the thing is.. my friend helped me hook up my amp and sub and it was running fine for awhile, but it drained to much of my battery so I disconnected them for awhile till I upgraded my battery and alternator. So I got that done and after I tried plugging the **Head Unit** wire into the **Amp** and voila.. it shuts off my amp. After I disconnect the head unit from the amp and turn the key back to the On position the amp comes on again.. but it's pointless if it can't hook up to the deck.. Does anyone know anyway or anything about this problem? It's so odd.. any help would be appreciated.

Okay wait scratch that.. i found the real problem.. the problem is.. when i turn up the volume.. not even loud.. like up to volume 13 on my head unit the amp shuts off.. whats the deal with this? it's so frustrating //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Sorry for bringing this up again guys but im still really new to this.. but how can i wire my subs so its not at to low of an impendance? The thing is.. the sub isn't even bumping for some reason either.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif i got the volume to go up to 18-19 max now before the amp shuts off but that's still not enough.. please help =P

What kind've sub do you have and what voice coil configuration is it?

Single 4 ohm, Dual 4 ohm, Dual 2 ohm, Single 8 ohm, etc.

Also, what amp is it? Model number please.

Sorry for bringing this up again guys but im still really new to this.. but how can i wire my subs so its not at to low of an impendance? The thing is.. the sub isn't even bumping for some reason either.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif i got the volume to go up to 18-19 max now before the amp shuts off but that's still not enough.. please help =P
If you have access to a multimeter (costs $3 at Harbor Freight) then set it to measure resistance and put each probe to each speaker terminal. That should tell you want impedance the subwoofer is at. It's a older speaker so it's probably a single 4 ohm.

Ive never heard of that amp company.

$120 for a Class A 250x4 amp? Right.....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

My next question is...are you running anything else off your amp? Like say...a set of component speakers... or another subwoofer?

If so, you're going to want to run your front 2 channels in stereo and your rear 2 BRIDGED to produced that 250 watt @ 4 ohm (since I seriously DOUBT it's stable to anything less) load for your sub.

Now...connect the positive terminal of your sub to the positve terminal on Channel 3 and the negative terminal of your sub to the negative terminal on Channel 4.

Voila. Should work.

The only thing i'm trying to run is one subwoofer off the amp.. gah.. i hoooked positive to channel 1 and 2.. negative to channel 1 and 2 in the correct places.. but sub still doesn't bump anything.. and oh yeah.. when the amp turns on it heats up pretty fast.. few minutes or less.. if that might help anything.

The only thing i'm trying to run is one subwoofer off the amp.. gah.. i hoooked positive to channel 1 and 2.. negative to channel 1 and 2 in the correct places.. but sub still doesn't bump anything.. and oh yeah.. when the amp turns on it heats up pretty fast.. few minutes or less.. if that might help anything.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

You're not supposed to do that!!!

Did it come with a manual? You should read that. And when you're done, read it again. And again.

You cannot bridge a 4-channel amp down to 1-channel -- which based off what you said is what you're trying to do.

PLEASE, READ my previous post:

If so, you're going to want to run your front 2 channels in stereo and your rear 2 BRIDGED to produced that 250 watt @ 4 ohm (since I seriously DOUBT it's stable to anything less) load for your sub.
Now...connect the positive terminal of your sub to the positve terminal on Channel 3 and the negative terminal of your sub to the negative terminal on Channel 4.
Meaning, the negative terminal on Channel 3 will be left open and the positive terminal on Channel 4 will be open.

Leave Channels 1 and 2 empty (meaning, don't f-ing touch them) for right now since it seems like you only have a single subwoofer. At least you can expand on this.

This should be pretty clear... I'm sure my 13 year old sister could figure this out.

If you can't, do yourself a paramount favor and take it to a car audio shop and have them do it.

Sorry for the frustration but I did what you said now.. it seems like the sub is making some very very little bass noise.. if i try turning up the volume on my HU it also shuts off the amp.. im so stuck.. thanks for trying to help though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.