does my amp ****

cazorp
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i have a pioneer gm-5100T, its rated for 760, but it doesnt make my speakers hit that hard, and to top that off i have to turn the bass up on my HU because it doesnt have subwoofer controls. should i get a bigger amp, I have two kenwood W-3009 12's for the record

thanks

Zach

I think that they are overpriced but the quality is there.

I used to have a pair of the PRS series amps and loved them.

As for the boom, that model amp is only rated for 380 watts RMS and those Kenwood subs have very limited excursion. An upgrade to a 500 or 600 watts RMS amp will help a little, a bigger difference will be had by building a ported enclosure for them to help them be as efficient as possible.

that amp is rated 760wmax and 380wrms so your subs are getting near 190wrms each which is probably not enough for them to get LOUD.

What ohm load do you have those subs wired for?, I suspect that you may have them wired for an 8 ohm mono load which would give you only 250 watts RMS for the pair.

The gm-5100t is not rated for a 2ohm load so a switch to a 500+ watt class D amp would be a definite recommendation, not that your amp is bad, it just doesn't seem to be the right amp for this application.

i dont know what ohm load im running, i can tell u i have 1 speaker wire to the positive, both the clear and the blue wire, and i have one of them hooked to the right positive on the subwoofer and the other hooked to the left positive on the subwoofer. and the same thing done with the negative soeaker output.

is this how it should be wired???

thanks

Zach

well depends on the impedece you're running them in, what is the voice coil configuration....i believe that the amp does 450 in 4 ohm 750 in 2 ohm and ~1000 in 1 ohm

i think a change of amps would be nice, i know a few people that have that pioneer amp, they got thiers at walmart, i think its a little overrated

yes but it would be better to learn a little more about some car stuff so that u can save up and get the better stuff first if ur goal really is to get LOUD im your age and i did the same thing just tryin to save u some time

i dont know what ohm load im running, i can tell u i have 1 speaker wire to the positive, both the clear and the blue wire, and i have one of them hooked to the right positive on the subwoofer and the other hooked to the left positive on the subwoofer. and the same thing done with the negative soeaker output.
is this how it should be wired???

thanks

Zach
Sounds like a series 8ohm

Like this?

series_wiring.gif

Wired that way you will only get 125 watts RMS to each sub.

With the amp you have that is actually your only wiring option, if you were to parrallel the the speakers you would then have a 2 ohm load which would put the amp into protect mode.

So yea, buy a Class D amp with 500 watt + RMS power and wire the subs for a 2 ohm mono load.

Like this-

parallel_wiring.gif

yea i have it wired like the bottom one now

i had it wired like the top one first but it wasnt loud so i did some research and wired it the bottom way, how much RMS am i getting a piece???

Zach

yea i have it wired like the bottom one nowi had it wired like the top one first but it wasnt loud so i did some research and wired it the bottom way, how much RMS am i getting a piece???

Zach
**** your running a 2ohm load on that amp, its not supposed to be able to do that.

Not too shabby.

Don't know what the RMS is at 2ohms mono as there are no specs for that, prolly in the high 400 range total.

This is all assuming that those Kenwood subs are single 4 ohm voice coil.

Regardless, I would retire the amp from sub duty and get something bigger for the subs.

yea thats what i was told to do... lol i guess thats kind of kool that it let me do that. so do i need something bigger than the 1100D or will it be ok??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.