Amp turns off... still

Sounds like a problem with your alternator.

Electronics can't cause their supply voltage to increase; I don't know how some people come up with such ridiculous info, yet they spout it confidently. Dunning-Kruger Effect at its finest.

Pull your alternator and bring it to an auto parts store to have it tested. It's usually free to have them test it.

So much stupid "advice" in this thread.

You don't need a relay for two amps' remote turn-on. A distribution block is not a relay, but don't worry about that because you don't need a relay. Someone did some tests and a relay's coil pulls as much as seven amps' remote current (if i remember correctly).

Your ac compressor is not an "electrical component". However, Ford cuts out the ac when you floor it to give you more power, so that is likely unrelated and completely normal.

Sounds like a problem with your alternator.

Electronics can't cause their supply voltage to increase; I don't know how some people come up with such ridiculous info, yet they spout it confidently. Dunning-Kruger Effect at its finest.

Pull your alternator and bring it to an auto parts store to have it tested. It's usually free to have them test it.

So much stupid "advice" in this thread.

You don't need a relay for two amps' remote turn-on. A distribution block is not a relay, but don't worry about that because you don't need a relay. Someone did some tests and a relay's coil pulls as much as seven amps' remote current (if i remember correctly).

Your ac compressor is not an "electrical component". However, Ford cuts out the ac when you floor it to give you more power, so that is likely unrelated and completely normal.
Okay, I do have another alternator here that I can try, there was a mix up so I currently have 2 HO alternators

Okay, new realization
It does it when the cars "resting" voltage is higher. Like 14.0 to 14.5 whereas yesterday it sat at 13.8 to 14.2 and it did it less

So when it cuts out it spikes to 17.2 volts, on the whole electrical system
I understand cutting off at 17.2v, but amps work from 9v to 16v. So 14v to 14.5v should not affect it. How sure are you about 17.2v? I just think spikes like that would burn out lights or fuses. Also, alternator voltage regulators are set around 13.8v, so where are the spikes coming from? Could you test voltage with the amp disconnected a few days to see if spikes remain?

No. Have you tried your other alternator?
No not yet, I should have time tomorrow to do that. Maybe today

I understand cutting off at 17.2v, but amps work from 9v to 16v. So 14v to 14.5v should not affect it. How sure are you about 17.2v? I just think spikes like that would burn out lights or fuses. Also, alternator voltage regulators are set around 13.8v, so where are the spikes coming from? Could you test voltage with the amp disconnected a few days to see if spikes remain?
I checked my sub amp when it did it with a volt meter, and than my 4chan amp when it did it, both reported a high of 17.2v. I could probably try that, but ik the spikes won't occur as I'm pretty confident it only happens when bass hits.

No. If anything they would "choke" the power going to them a bit, and maybe heat up a bit. But unless they are 16 or 18 awg, I doubt it. Now you got me thinking about inductance.
They are 14awg stranded.. so they would be big enough. Lol this *****... im truly stumped

They are ok. I am starting to suspect a bad sub amp. If an amp requires more voltage during operation, an alternator cannot supply bursts of higher voltage, for it has the regulator to keep it in check.
That would ****... it's brand new... I have a spare, just has an overheating issues

They are ok. I am starting to suspect a bad sub amp. If an amp requires more voltage during operation, an alternator cannot supply bursts of higher voltage, for it has the regulator to keep it in check.

Unless like Metalhead stated, the alternator is bad it could cause a spike. Have you checked any other electrical in your vehicle to see if they spike? Like the cigarette lighter? Or tested at the battery voltage at the battery during the so called spike?

Unless like Metalhead stated, the alternator is bad it could cause a spike. Have you checked any other electrical in your vehicle to see if they spike? Like the cigarette lighter? Or tested at the battery voltage at the battery during the so called spike?
When I indused the issue and tested at the cig lighter, it showed 17.02

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...