Amp turns off... still

Spazz131

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 10, 2021
Michigan
Okay here we go again. My amp will turn off, when the bass hits, but only if the bass hits well im accelerating. I've checked grounds quite a bit but will gladly do so more, I've installed big 3, a nice battery, and a HO alternator. I'm using a PRX1000.1 Memphis Amp, with 2 10in 600Watt alpine-s, and a jensen 500watt 4chan powering 4 alpine type-R. I'm confused as hell, and really don't know where to go next. To make things even weirder it sometimes works flawlessly where as sometimes i literally have to turn my gain down to make it even function or else it just keeps power cycling. Sometimes both amps restart, and sometimes If I have A.C going, even that cycles. To me it sounds like a grounding issue. My truck is a 2008 f150. Any ideas?

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
I think you might have a short somewhere .
No necessarily in the stereo equipment.
What is with the F150's
My brother has one, 2014
When I borrow it I can't use my Radar Detector
Everytime I hit the gas the "Laser" warning goes nuts

Spazz131

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 10, 2021
Michigan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what I was thinking too, ground, or a short. It's so weird. They have some weird electrical issues

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Minot, North Dakota, United States
If your ac is cycling, you’re losing voltage. I would say your dropping pretty low. Those Memphis amps are voltage hogs.

Spazz131

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 10, 2021
Michigan
If your ac is cycling, you’re losing voltage. I would say your dropping pretty low. Those Memphis amps are voltage hogs.
Would a short cause it a.c to cycle as well? When it happens the amp will spike to 15.3 to 16.4v

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
No. Sounds like the amp is pulling the voltage. That’s why it’s peaking.

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
If your amp is hitting 16 then I would agree AnthonyO
Just for my own curiosity, what size fuse do you have on the amp
If the amp is enough power to shut down other electrical components you would think it would blow the fuse
Stranger things have happened though

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
I would check your remote that turns the amps on/off. Are you jumping from amp to amp or using a relay?

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
How do you keep it from spiking. Get a more efficient amp. That amp is power hungry.
Borrow an amp from a friend and see if you have the same problem. If not, there you go

Jonnyswboy

CarAudio.com Regular
Jun 28, 2019
Where is your amp remote connected? Do you have a clip indicator? You should make one out of a tweeter and capacitor if you don't and test the amp.

Also what is the final impedance of your subs at the terminals?

Spazz131

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 10, 2021
Michigan
Where is your amp remote connected? Do you have a clip indicator? You should make one out of a tweeter and capacitor if you don't and test the amp.

Also what is the final impedance of your subs at the terminals?
No I don't have a clip indicator How do I make one?
My amp remote is right at my side.

I would check your remote that turns the amps on/off. Are you jumping from amp to amp or using a relay?
If a relay is a distributor block than yes

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
Sounds like a problem with your alternator.

Electronics can't cause their supply voltage to increase; I don't know how some people come up with such ridiculous info, yet they spout it confidently. Dunning-Kruger Effect at its finest.

Pull your alternator and bring it to an auto parts store to have it tested. It's usually free to have them test it.

So much stupid "advice" in this thread.

You don't need a relay for two amps' remote turn-on. A distribution block is not a relay, but don't worry about that because you don't need a relay. Someone did some tests and a relay's coil pulls as much as seven amps' remote current (if i remember correctly).

Your ac compressor is not an "electrical component". However, Ford cuts out the ac when you floor it to give you more power, so that is likely unrelated and completely normal.

Jonnyswboy

CarAudio.com Regular
Jun 28, 2019
No I don't have a clip indicator How do I make one?
My amp remote is right at my side.

If a relay is a distributor block than yes
Use a multimeter on your remote wire, and cause the amp to turn off. What does the voltage on the wire drop to?

Spazz131

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 10, 2021
Michigan
Sounds like a problem with your alternator.

Electronics can't cause their supply voltage to increase; I don't know how some people come up with such ridiculous info, yet they spout it confidently. Dunning-Kruger Effect at its finest.

Pull your alternator and bring it to an auto parts store to have it tested. It's usually free to have them test it.

So much stupid "advice" in this thread.

You don't need a relay for two amps' remote turn-on. A distribution block is not a relay, but don't worry about that because you don't need a relay. Someone did some tests and a relay's coil pulls as much as seven amps' remote current (if i remember correctly).

Your ac compressor is not an "electrical component". However, Ford cuts out the ac when you floor it to give you more power, so that is likely unrelated and completely normal.
Okay, I do have another alternator here that I can try, there was a mix up so I currently have 2 HO alternators

Spazz131

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mar 10, 2021
Michigan
Okay, new realization
It does it when the cars "resting" voltage is higher. Like 14.0 to 14.5 whereas yesterday it sat at 13.8 to 14.2 and it did it less

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds