Amp settings?

I understand that, but I’m still going to check it with a multimeter, and for example if The meter says the proper volts isa different setting when I adjust the gain that way, and it’s not what the pre out of the head unit is, then which should I go with? The head unit preout is 5v, and on the Sony amp it goes from 6v to 0.2 which is stamped on the amp around the gain controls.
If I were in your shoes, I'd just pick whatever you want max volume to be on the HU. Let's say you decide on 20. Set the volume at 20, play your test tone and turn the gain up until you hit your target voltage. Now you know your system will start to clip if you go above 20 on the volume control. You don't need to pay attention to what the gain control says because you're not using the gain in usual manner.

Used properly and assuming your amp manufacture isn't full of shyt my method will tell when you hit the clipping wall. Personally, I use my ears and not everybody has access to an oscope.
I do it by ear too 😂 I mainly use my dmm to check my voltage on my batteries or check I wired subs correctly

I just said that because the op seems to be using a meter to rationalize setting his gain too high...probably won't end well imo 🙈

I do it by ear too 😂 I mainly use my dmm to check my voltage on my batteries or check I wired subs correctly

I just said that because the op seems to be using a meter to rationalize setting his gain too high...probably won't end well imo 🙈
Good point. If the OP is going to set his gain structure as he suggests, he should probably invest in some self-resetting polyswitch speaker protectors.

The speakers work just fine, but could someone explain on the amp why 6v is quieter than 0.2v for the gain settings? Wouldn’t more voltage be louder than less voltage? The voltages are listed around the gain dials, and clockwise is louder as per the manual. I just don’t understand how this stuff works and am trying to learn as much as I can.

The speakers work just fine, but could someone explain on the amp why 6v is quieter than 0.2v for the gain settings? Wouldn’t more voltage be louder than less voltage? The voltages are listed around the gain dials, and clockwise is louder as per the manual. I just don’t understand how this stuff works and am trying to learn as much as I can.
As you turn up the gain it amplifies the source signal more....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...