Amp settings?

JohnPD

CarAudio.com Regular
I finally got my Sony amp that's listed in my signature installed yesterday, but I have no idea what some of the settings are for. It has a subsonic filter adjustment, and low boost level adjustments for both front and rear speaker channels in addition to the HPF, and LPF cut-off frequency adjustments, and gain controls for both channels. What are the subsonic and low boost level adjustments for and how should they be set?

What are the subsonic and low boost level adjustments for and how should they be set?
Subsonic is the lowest frequency you want your speakers to play at. Alot of users set this 5 Hertz below their box tuning frequency. Low boost is Bass Boost. I have been told this is set at 45Hz, but some amps I have seen they have a pot to adjust this frequency.
Now a question on my part. Where does one click to look at the signature you have mentioned several times? I do not recall the option to list my current gear when I signed up many moons ago.

Subsonic is the lowest frequency you want your speakers to play at. Alot of users set this 5 Hertz below their box tuning frequency. Low boost is Bass Boost. I have been told this is set at 45Hz, but some amps I have seen they have a pot to adjust this frequency.
Now a question on my part. Where does one click to look at the signature you have mentioned several times? I do not recall the option to list my current gear when I signed up many moons ago.
This is what's under the amplifier cover.

Attachments

• Sonyamp.jpg
    Sonyamp.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 15
Where does one click to look at the signature you have mentioned several times? I do not recall the option to list my current gear when I signed up many moons ago.
I have no idea, I just added my stuff to my signature, I can see it in all my posts and responses to others posts. Can you see it in my posts?

Click on your circle top right, on the left side scroll down to signature

That low boost (40hz) is a frequency for subwoofers. If this is for your components, I would use the pass filter to get rid of that all together, and turn that off too, or at least turn it to zero.

You didn't say the model of your auditors. You might get close to that frequency and might be able to turn that up and notice it, but I wouldn't be using my mids to try to shake my vehicle. They are for sound, not for bump. They probably wouldn't last long, and I doubt they would sound good.

That low boost (40hz) is a frequency for subwoofers. If this is for your components, I would use the pass filter to get rid of that all together, and turn that off too, or at least turn it to zero.

You didn't say the model of your auditors. You might get close to that frequency and might be able to turn that up and notice it, but I wouldn't be using my mids to try to shake my vehicle. They are for sound, not for bump. They probably wouldn't last long, and I doubt they would sound good.
The Focals are ACX 165 S

Click on your circle top right, on the left side scroll down to signature
Found it, thank you.
Can you see it in my posts?
Not at all. There is no link button either.
This is what's under the amplifier cover.
Subsonic blocks anything below it. Filter blocks anything above it when set to Low Pass or anything below it when set to High Pass. Level is the Gain for those channels. Low Boost is bass boost at 40Hz.
I would set the x-over switch to HPF and the frequency pot to 80Hz. Then set your Gain to your desired voltage.
Sub sonic full clockwise and low boost full counterclockwise.

Found it, thank you.

Not at all. There is no link button either.

Subsonic blocks anything below it. Filter blocks anything above it when set to Low Pass or anything below it when set to High Pass. Level is the Gain for those channels. Low Boost is bass boost at 40Hz.
I would set the x-over switch to HPF and the frequency pot to 80Hz. Then set your Gain to your desired voltage.
Sub sonic full clockwise and low boost full counterclockwise.
I left the filters off, the speakers all have built in crossovers.

How do the level voltages work since they go from 6 to 0.3v? I thought 6v is louder than 0.3v? Sounds odd to me since clockwise is usually louder than counterclockwise for gain, but 6 is counterclockwise and 0.3 is all the way clockwise. The speakers get louder the closer to 0.3v, and the manual says turn it clockwise if the speakers aren't loud enough.

The speakers get louder the closer to 0.3v, and the manual says turn it clockwise if the speakers aren't loud enough
If you know the source only puts out 1 volt, then you set at 1 volt. If you set it at 6 volts the source's 1 volt will not be able "push" easily through the 6 volt "choke" point. Therefore it will be quieter.
On the other hand, if your source puts out 6 volts and you set gain at 1 volt, those 6 volts will just ram through the 1 volt choke point. Therefore, it will be way louder to the point of signal failure, aka clipping.

If you know the source only puts out 1 volt, then you set at 1 volt. If you set it at 6 volts the source's 1 volt will not be able "push" easily through the 6 volt "choke" point. Therefore it will be quieter.
On the other hand, if your source puts out 6 volts and you set gain at 1 volt, those 6 volts will just ram through the 1 volt choke point. Therefore, it will be way louder to the point of signal failure, aka clipping.
What do you mean for source? the head unit? or the speakers? If you're talking about the preout level of the head unit, the manual says 5V/10k ohms

Last edited:
That makes no sense, I set both at 5v, and I have to really crank up the volume to get it to a decent listening level, sounds better around 1 or 2v to me
When setting gain it is suggested to have radio volume ~75%. That is why you are having to raise the volume so high. In my own gear I like using only the first digits of volume capacity, so like you just did, I set my gains lower than suggested. But if someone cranks my volume past 10, there could be damage to my speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...