Amp recommendation saught

ukrkoz
10+ year member

wa
Hi all

I have 400W rated Pioneer sub, 4 Ohm, in custom enclosure. It works fine. Truly, I bought it and Jensen 600W 2/3/4 bridgeable amp off craigslist.

2d9zeh5.jpg

I finished install yesterday and am fine tuning everything.

I have amp connected via rear door RCA converter, L- and R+ bridged terminals.

Once again, it works fine. I do not look for LOUD music, only for complimentary bass.

At the same time, I do not believe, this amp is moving the driver enough. Plus, I do not think, it is a right amp anyway, considering that it's pretty much designed for 4 speaker operation.

Will it be better to have a monaural amp strictly designed for low frequencies, with maybe more power output? And if yes, then what do you recommend? Cost is important.

If the picture is representative of the final install, your biggest problem is that the woofer isn't in a box. So before we worry about amps... is the woofer in an enclosure?

Hi all
I have 400W rated Pioneer sub, 4 Ohm, in custom enclosure. It works fine. Truly, I bought it and Jensen 600W 2/3/4 bridgeable amp off craigslist.

2d9zeh5.jpg

I finished install yesterday and am fine tuning everything.

I have amp connected via rear door RCA converter, L- and R+ bridged terminals.

Once again, it works fine. I do not look for LOUD music, only for complimentary bass.

At the same time, I do not believe, this amp is moving the driver enough. Plus, I do not think, it is a right amp anyway, considering that it's pretty much designed for 4 speaker operation.

Will it be better to have a monaural amp strictly designed for low frequencies, with maybe more power output? And if yes, then what do you recommend? Cost is important.
Rockford Fosgate Prime Mono Amp Class D 500 Watts RMS | eBay

Honestly I'd sell that amp and pick up a new one. I saw this RF Prime 500 for 105 shipped on Ebay which isn't bad compared to 210 brand new about half priced. I believe it would do much better than the Jensen although I know hardly nothing about Jensen products so who am I to judge. You could see around 300W @ 4 ohm or if the sub can handle a lil more power than rated you'll prolly see around 540w @ 2 ohm if u wired the sub down. Just a suggestion though man

Driver is in 1.3 cf custom box.

I drove around for an hour with it on and it's more than i need truly loudness wise.

But I am seeking opinion on weather it is better off to go with a single channel amp instead of 2/3/4 channel one.

Reason being it is likely to run entire spectrum through as it's designed to power various response speakers.

Though Jensen has 3 separate filters per channel all set to low pass.

I'd go with that rf prime r500, you will be very happy compared to current set up!!! I remember those pioneers too, good lil subs, haven't seen one in like 12yrs!!!

I'd say - and thank you all for response - for now, I'll keep test driving what I have. I am not into buying used electronics off ebay. I can get a mono sub amp from Walmart, Kicker, for $145, with warranty and all the same features.

My next step will be to connect it to factory subwoofer audio feed. This itself may change the bass level. As as it is now, it is plenty LOUD. I don't care about loud, I do care about low. Rumble. One that you feel in you lungs, not your ears.

You need to figure out what you actually want, because low frequency sound that rumbles without being heard is not typically found in music. There's music with added bass available to download, but commercial music almost never has bass that low. Also, your existing equipment has no chance of recreating that subsonic bass loud enough to feel it. That requires pressure to build in the cabin, which requires moving quite a bit of air.

Sounds like I shall stick with what I have. I had system connected to factory sub feed and disconnected it right away.

For starters, it REALLy moved the driver. I could see how much excursion it can produce.

Also, it killed the sound. I have hard time describing it, but likely factory sub has filter and feeds only lower spectrum end. It turned out to be very dull bass.

I like sort of punch I have now, with door speaker feed better.

I shall test drive it for next few days, maybe twick amp filters a bit.

Thank you all for your input. Y'all know, how personal listening to music is.

You need to figure out what you actually want, because low frequency sound that rumbles without being heard is not typically found in music. There's music with added bass available to download, but commercial music almost never has bass that low. Also, your existing equipment has no chance of recreating that subsonic bass loud enough to feel it. That requires pressure to build in the cabin, which requires moving quite a bit of air.
Listen to this, he knows his crap. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.