Amp Reccomendation (Cadence vs. MB Quart)

RDSHunter
10+ year member

So I have two JL 12w3v3's that are rated at 500 rms each. I've narrowed it down between two amps:

Cadence TXA 1000D - WoofersEtc.com - TXA-1000D - Cadence Class D Mono Power 1000 Watt Amplifier

MB Quart ONX1.1000D - WoofersEtc.com - ONX1.1000D - MB Quart 1000W RMS, ONYX Series Class D Monoblock Amplifier

I would be running either one of them at a 1 ohm load. From what I'm reading they're both solid amps, I've got a Cadence ZRS 7000D right now that I love but with my set up i'm running it at a 4 ohm load and only getting 500 watts out of it. Which of these two amps would you guys consider better and if there are other suggestions I'm open, but trying to stay within a decent price range. Thanks

First off, I wouldn't run those subs @ 1ohm if you want to sound good and have an amp that will last a long time. Secondly, those ratings on the W3's are a bit inflated just like every other manufacturer out there. Realistically, 250-300w each is safe and you can beat on them. Over that? You risk damage and you won't get any louder or sound any better...especially with the amps you're thinking about getting.

Are you worried about supplying a certain amount of power to your subs? Sounds like you are...don't be. Just b/c you have two "500w RMS" subs does not mean you absolutely need a 1kw amp or your subs will not have max output & SQ. With W3's, 500w is more than enough.

Feeding those subs 1kW is something to worry about though. If you're looking to sound better and/or louder; what kind of box do you have? Is it some sort of pre-fab ported box or particle board sealed unit? That could be your problem and throwing more power at the subs will not fix that. Historically, JL woofers have also preferred larger sealed boxes and ported boxes tuned a bit higher than the spec sheet says.

Tell us your goals while trying to forget about matching the wattage sticker on the amp to the subs. I absolutely loathe RMS ratings b/c everyone tests different and/or flat-out picks a number that sounds good and runs with it.

If you go from a solid 500w @ 4ohm to 1000w @ 1ohm, I can almost guarantee it will not get louder and will sound sloppier. The thing is, I don't think you're giving them a solid 500w now. I've always thought of Cadence products being one small step above Pyramid & Kenford.

First off, I wouldn't run those subs @ 1ohm if you want to sound good and have an amp that will last a long time. Secondly, those ratings on the W3's are a bit inflated just like every other manufacturer out there. Realistically, 250-300w each is safe and you can beat on them. Over that? You risk damage and you won't get any louder or sound any better...especially with the amps you're thinking about getting.
Are you worried about supplying a certain amount of power to your subs? Sounds like you are...don't be. Just b/c you have two "500w RMS" subs does not mean you absolutely need a 1kw amp or your subs will not have max output & SQ. With W3's, 500w is more than enough.

Feeding those subs 1kW is something to worry about though. If you're looking to sound better and/or louder; what kind of box do you have? Is it some sort of pre-fab ported box or particle board sealed unit? That could be your problem and throwing more power at the subs will not fix that. Historically, JL woofers have also preferred larger sealed boxes and ported boxes tuned a bit higher than the spec sheet says.

Tell us your goals while trying to forget about matching the wattage sticker on the amp to the subs. I absolutely loathe RMS ratings b/c everyone tests different and/or flat-out picks a number that sounds good and runs with it.

If you go from a solid 500w @ 4ohm to 1000w @ 1ohm, I can almost guarantee it will not get louder and will sound sloppier. The thing is, I don't think you're giving them a solid 500w now. I've always thought of Cadence products being one small step above Pyramid & Kenford.
you obv never seen their a7hc or z series of amps. the a7hc might be one of the cleanest nicest sounding class d amps i have ever seen. co designed by zed audio all american made and engineered. dca10000 high quality american made and engineered equipment. and also some of the best cheater amps available as class d.

MPN: A7 HC

Key Features

Amplifier Type: Mono Channel

Bridgable: Bridgable

RMS Power at 4 Ohms: 50 W x 1

RMS Power at 2 Ohms: 800 W x 1

3 Way Ready : No

Number Of Channels: 1

Performance

Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 500 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB

THD at Rated RMS Power: 0.01 %

or the famous sweet poison

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-classifieds-old-replies-only/28815-a7000-hc-amp-sweet-poison.html

I would go cadence as long its its not the lower lines. I have ran MBQ's 4 channels amps before and they seem to do everybit of rated but they do feel to be built alil on the cheap side. Lots of plastic and you can feel just by their weight that its not the best of quality. But for the price they are a good choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.