Amp Selection - Giving my boat an Audio Overhaul

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gemcoska
10+ year member

Hey Guys,

I'm about to redo the sound system on my boat. I've done several full up car audio systems but its been a while since I've gone shopping.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Power 2 sets of speakers, 1 inside the boat (2 6"x9"s and 2 6"s) and 1 on the wakeboard tower (8 6"x9"s).

I'm thinking of running 2 separate 4 channel amps. 1 to run at 4 ohms inside the boat, and 1 to run at 2 ohms for the wakeboard tower. Running digital is almost a must as I would like to preserve the battery as much as possible.

Lots of CLEAN power is what I'm looking for. Each of the 6"x9"s are 175W RMS. If i can find a 100Wx4 digital amp, I think that will be enough. The only experience I've had with Digital amps is the US AMPS Merlin. I love it. Back in the day I was loyal to Precision Power, Pheonix Gold, and HiFonics, but i guess since then all those companies have been bought out and now their quality *****. Being that its gonna be noisy on the boat, I don't need extreme quality, but I do want reliability.

It will be mounted in a dry place out of the sunlight, so I decided to not go with marine amps.

Suggestions for a 4x100W (or higher) full range digital amp?

Thanks Guys!

Rob

So I'm not limiting myself to Marine amps only. It will be installed in a dry place out of the sun.

I've looked at the Alpine PDX before. Just seems like I'm paying $$ for Alpline.

Budget wise, I guess I'm looking for a sweet spot in the pricing. It seems like for the $350 price tag of the Alpine, I'd be able to get a way better deal on more power and a lower THD.

I've spent at least 2 hours looking through 4 channel Class D amps. Hardly any put out 100W x 4. Any Class D manufacturers that you can suggest? Again, NOT MARINE.

Wow, those Powerbass amps are PERFECT.

The ASA 600.4x is awesome:

PowerBass Autosound ASA 600.4x 4-Channel A/B Amplifier | PowerBass USA

100w x 4 @ 4 ohms

200w x 4 @ 2 ohms

THD of 0.05%

Amazon has it for $177 x 2 = $354 which is the price for 1 PDX!

Okay so before I pull the trigger on this, let me make sure I'm not crazy with this speaker plan. I'll run the inside speakers like normal, 1 4-ohm 6x9 per channel (4 total). The tower speakers I will run at 2-ohms with 2 6x9 speakers in parallel per channel (8 Total). Am I off or will this work?

Thanks guys, GREAT info so far!

Wow, those Powerbass amps are PERFECT.
The ASA 600.4x is awesome:

PowerBass Autosound ASA 600.4x 4-Channel A/B Amplifier | PowerBass USA

100w x 4 @ 4 ohms

200w x 4 @ 2 ohms

THD of 0.05%

Amazon has it for $177 x 2 = $354 which is the price for 1 PDX!

Okay so before I pull the trigger on this, let me make sure I'm not crazy with this speaker plan. I'll run the inside speakers like normal, 1 4-ohm 6x9 per channel (4 total). The tower speakers I will run at 2-ohms with 2 6x9 speakers in parallel per channel (8 Total). Am I off or will this work?

Thanks guys, GREAT info so far!
That sounds about Right OP

ok talked to powerbass there are no authorized internet dealers period.so all the ones you see on line are either warrantied by the seller or old stock.all the asa amps are class ab or d if its the bigger mono block . asa has a 600 .4 100 x 4 , the atm is a smaller amp, size wise,660.4 which is 100 x 4 ,and the class d amp is the xax 4160 100 x 4 ,these are all rms ratings .will pm you prices now

I knew BOSS would get crapped on... I should know better too. Just not a whole lot out there for MARINE 6x9s. I think JBL has a set but the are 50% more in cost. Clarion has some out there too, thats whats on there now, and they keep dying.

Recommendations then??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.