Amp rca sound output not working quite right.

john901

Hello, I'm new here. I am having some trouble with my sub amp an old kicker 700x2, it worked fine in my last vehicle. I installed it in my new truck and it turned on and i could faintly hear music coming out of my sub but very quiet. I used a multimeter on the power wires and all are good, i've quadruple checked all the connections changed my ground wire around several times.

I tried plugging my iPod into the rca input and nothing came out. Now the odd thing when i plugged a speaker into the rca output on my amp the sub works. The amp and sub works great so long as the output crossover is set to (high only) and i have a speaker connected to the output rca.

That is the only way. It doesn't make any sense to me, the only thing i can think is that is acting as a ground.

In my last car i had the rca running to my sub amp and the sub output running to my speaker amp. however that amp fried out recently. so i don't want to really run it like this because I'm afraid it may fry something.

Have you tried a diff amp to see if your getting the same thing?

Sounds like the RCA's on the amp went bad. But to be sure, take my suggestion.

I'm not sure, the other one just stopped working one day. It might not have anything to do with this one. I'm not sure how long the kicker has been like this because i have always had the other amp connected to the kicker rca out. it doesn't kick on or off if i wiggle the rca connections so i don't think they are loose. i don't know..

I'm not sure, the other one just stopped working one day. It might not have anything to do with this one. I'm not sure how long the kicker has been like this because i have always had the other amp connected to the kicker rca out. it doesn't kick on or off if i wiggle the rca connections so i don't think they are loose. i don't know..

so the kicker was/has been working since the other amp quit?

yeah, the kicker works so long as the other amp is hooked up to the kickers rca output. If i unplug the other amp the kicker stops working or only plays faintly. Literally it only works if something is plugged into its output.

Hello, I'm new here. I am having some trouble with my sub amp an old kicker 700x2, it worked fine in my last vehicle. I installed it in my new truck and it turned on and i could faintly hear music coming out of my sub but very quiet. I used a multimeter on the power wires and all are good, i've quadruple checked all the connections changed my ground wire around several times.I tried plugging my iPod into the rca input and nothing came out. Now the odd thing when i plugged a speaker into the rca output on my amp the sub works. The amp and sub works great so long as the output crossover is set to (high only) and i have a speaker connected to the output rca.

That is the only way. It doesn't make any sense to me, the only thing i can think is that is acting as a ground.

In my last car i had the rca running to my sub amp and the sub output running to my speaker amp. however that amp fried out recently. so i don't want to really run it like this because I'm afraid it may fry something.
Do you have a model number for the Kicker amp?

yeah, it does seem to be a fairly common problem on these are searching it. I can't really find any solution other than just grounding the rca via rca shield grounding. It seems most people just wrap a couple wires around the rcp's and ground them to the amp mounting bolts. I'm not sure if this is the best way to go or not.I'm not very good with electronics so taking it apart would probably just further break it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.