Amp question

Participant count
  • Participant list

skyline

Hey guys I need your advice on what I should do with regards to what amp(s) i should run. I have the following hardware, it sounds good but it will sound better once i get an amp to run my sub (i'm using my current amp to run the splits).

- jvc h/u

- mb quart splits

- signat 2 channel amp (2x60watt rms)

- pioneer 2 ways for rear fill (run off h/u)

- 10" mtx sub (will run 100 - 200 watts rms)

I need another amp to run my sub, my options are:

- buy another amp and run two amps

- sell my current amp and buy a 4 channel

What should I do? Would it be easier in the long run to just get the 4 channel? Will running two amps drain my battery of power so I won't be able to listen to my system for very long with the engine off? Will I need to upgrade my alternator, battery, or any other components ?

Thanks for you help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What should I do? Would it be easier in the long run to just get the 4 channel?
I'm kinda confused. If you got a 4 channel, what would you be powering with it? The MB Quarts and the Pioneers? Or the MB Quarts and the one sub?

I'd look into a 5 channel amp that would power both sets of your interior speakers (upgrade the pioneers if you can, itd be well worth it) as well as the sub.....maybe something like http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/HIFZ8000 or http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PHOQX5005. You can probably find these for much cheaper if you look around.

Will I need to upgrade my alternator, battery, or any other components ?
Getting a nice battery always helps. With the power youre gonna be pushing, getting a new alternator probably won't be necessary unless your stock one is terrible/worn down.

What should I do? Would it be easier in the long run to just get the 4 channel?
get the four channel and use it to power the sub and your front speakers. use your existing amp to power the rear fill.

Will I need to upgrade my alternator, battery, or any other components ? ]
As Gauntlet said, a good battery helps, but on the whole is not needed. Unless you listen to your system with the engine off, a battery upgrade will do nothing.

An alt upgrade would be more worthwhile. use the following formula to determine if you need an Alt upgrade.

Pre 1990 vehicle:

35Amps (for cars electrical system) + total stereo requirements + 10Amps (to charge battery)

If the total is more than your current Alt puts out then you need an upgrade

Post 1990 Vehicle:

65Amps (for cars electrical system) + total stereo requirements + 10Amps (to charge battery)

If the total is more than your current Alt puts out then you need an upgrade

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.