Amp protection cuts out @ 3/4 volume. Clipping or wiring?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ardinger

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,
What is clipping versus wires grounding out? I had a package installed by someone else that are 2 / 10" subs @ 600watts RMS, and the amp is designed for 800 watts rms @ 1 ohm or 600 watts rms @ 2 ohm. So the end result is the amp cutting in and out of protection mode if I turn the volume higher than around 3/4 of the head unit's capability.
So can anyone tell me if I should start by checking the sub speakers are wired parallel or is it more likely that it is the wiring to the amp?

Hello,
What is clipping versus wires grounding out? I had a package installed by someone else that are 2 / 10" subs @ 600watts RMS, and the amp is designed for 800 watts rms @ 1 ohm or 600 watts rms @ 2 ohm. So the end result is the amp cutting in and out of protection mode if I turn the volume higher than around 3/4 of the head unit's capability.
So can anyone tell me if I should start by checking the sub speakers are wired parallel or is it more likely that it is the wiring to the amp?
I've had that happen, but it was a not enough electrical problem. My electrical couldn't support the amp so it went into protection when I'd turn it up

the amp cutting in and out of protection mode if I turn the volume higher than around 3/4 of the head unit's capability.
So don't turn it up that loud. You are definitely over-driving your amp and you will probably break it if you don't dial the gain down or take care with your volume control.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.