AMP Problems

doug8237

uk
Hi my son has purchased a auna mutimedia 6 channel max 5000w amp and speakers for his seat ibza 2007 we have installed this in the car . we turn on the head unit and every thing was working fine to start with then the sound from the speakers started to deteriate then no sound at all .

after a while i checked the fuses on the amp and found both 10amp fuses have blown i replaced them turned on the head unit no sound looked in the boot to see smoke coming out of the amp.

i checked my wiring all seems good inline fuse from battery did not blow

ground is good doe's any know what could cause this i have removed the back and found one of the cylindrecal components inside has blown as you can tell im a novice .

perhaps one of the speaker wires touched the other polarity or grounded out to DC somewhere in the car.

Or, just bad amp?

Hi my son has purchased a auna mutimedia 6 channel max 5000w amp and speakers for his seat ibza 2007 we have installed this in the car . we turn on the head unit and every thing was working fine to start with then the sound from the speakers started to deteriate then no sound at all .after a while i checked the fuses on the amp and found both 10amp fuses have blown i replaced them turned on the head unit no sound looked in the boot to see smoke coming out of the amp.

i checked my wiring all seems good inline fuse from battery did not blow

ground is good doe's any know what could cause this i have removed the back and found one of the cylindrecal components inside has blown as you can tell im a novice .
There's pretty much nothing user serviceable inside an amplifier and if smoke comes out of it it's pretty well 100% certain that it is broken. Also there's plenty of stuff inside there that can and probably will fail when an amp breaks that will not look visibly damaged. I have never heard of that brand and it is very likely it is cheap Chinese junk, though it is also possible that your speaker wires shorted to the chasis or to each other.... either could break an amp.

Hopefully the amp came with a warranty or you can return it and buy something more reliable. If you'd like to have it repaired, there's a fellow in the UK that does amp repair videos on youtube "barevids" or similar. Perhaps you could look him up if you feel the amp is worth repair and you do not have warranty. Search youtube for amp repair and find the guy with the bald head and funny accent.

the amp is from germany it was not expesive 230.00 including speakers thanks for your input just try to find out if i did something wrong.

the wiring harness in the car is not used i have run 6 av cables from the head unit to the amp then speaker cables from the amp to the speakers there is an inline fuse on main feed from the battery to the amp all looks good i tested after amp blew i have 12.5v from my ground to the power lead .

if the speaker leads are gronding out would you have a noise issue at that speaker?

also if there was a resistance issue on the cables the fuses should blow not the unit?

also if there was a resistance issue on the cables the fuses should blow not the unit?
Even in a high quality amp "protection" circuits aren't a sure thing, and a fuse can pass well beyond it's rated current for long enough to burn up components in your amp if something goes wrong and the protection circuit doesn't kick in.

Check for shorts in the speaker wire, or simply test with a known good amp if you're confident nothing is shorting. With a cheap amp it's just as likely you got a dud as there's anything you did wrong... that said, the only thing that would really blow up an amp once it's playing is shorting the speaker wires. Obviously there's more ways to break an amp but abuse aside that's about it.

Check continuity to ground on all the speaker wires at the amp (with wires disconnected from the amp). If that passes on all speakers, check resistance between positive and negative speaker wire for each speaker, this should closely match the listed impedance of the speaker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.