amp problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

rhruska
10+ year member

i just installed a zx1000.1 kicker amp with 2 10 inch cvx's at 2 ohms. it's loud and sounds good but not as loud as i expected being in a 350Z. i'm having a problem with my electrical system though. when i turn it up to a certain point the bass stops and then continues a couple seconds later after i turn the volume down. does the amp have an internal switch that cuts it off at low voltage? how do i fix this problem? could it be a poor ground or do i just need to buy a yellow top and maybe a capacitor? thanks for the help. also before it cuts off i can see the voltage gauge drop quickly and lights dim when the bass hits. should this amp draw so much on my electrical system?

i used 4 gauge wire for power and ground..i think it might be the ground then, i was in a hurry to finish it so i could go out that night....i only quickly scraped some paint off before grounding the amp so i'll check on this today. thanks for the help

ok, so now i grounded it to a good spot but it hasn't helped. the problem is actually getting worse. now the amp is constantly making a clicking sound and then turning off every once in a while. i can also hear a weird noise inside the amp. could this be a faulty amp? i got it from onlinecarstereo. this is becoming very frustrating. if my remote wire was bad then the amp would be shutting off and on right? not making this weird clicking noise. i can't think of anything else

remote is good rca's are good...don't see what could be wrong with the power wire and the weird thing is it was working for a day before this happened. my speaker wiring should be right. i have the subs (2 ohm dvc) coils in series and then the subs in parallel to put a 2 ohm load on the amp. to put the subs in parallel you just put the positives together and negatives together right? i'm stumped. the amp can be grounded to any solid piece of metal in the car right?

If you have a DMM, place the red probe on the amp's power connection and play some bass heavy music. Read DC voltage when bass notes hits. Sounds to me like it's going into undervoltage protection.

found the problem...the amp is cutting off because of a low voltage from the remote wire but it is hooked up correctly. i guess i need to do a relay system from the battery but for now i'm thinking about running the remote directly from the battery just so i can listen to music. is this bad? i don't understand why the stupid remote won't do the trick....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.