Amp problem, any suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

doox00
10+ year member

Michigan
I have a mono 1000 watt alpine amp bought used off the forums here a couple months ago. I rarely play it loud and never push it to its extreme. Powering 2 10" dayton audio ho's in ported box. The last couple weeks it just cuts off.. meaning I turn the stereo on, works for 10-30 seconds and then nothing from the subs, the amp is still powered on though. If I turn the stereo off and back on it may come back on again for 10-30 seconds then off.. Once in awhile it will come back on for a few seconds too on its own. I have checked wiring, all is good. I hooked up my old 500 watt mono alpine amp and that is working just fine, ideas what to look for in the amp to see what might be the problem?

thanks all

I'd try to rewire the speakers, So instead of 2 ohms, try 8 ohms, or just one woofer, as to see if it's an impedance issue.

I had a Pioneer amp do the same thing, but it worked fine for about a year, then one day it just shutdown after a minute of play. Turn out the amp could not really play nice at two ohms, and I'd been lucky, at least until my woofer got loose enough to swing lower impedance. I switched the amp to high current mode, and it work great for two more years, then sold the car/amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.