Amp power fuse holder melting

Participant count
  • Participant list
Okay so I have a Hifonics Brutus 1200w monoblock amp powering 2 kicker cvr 12s. I just recently put everything in using a 4 gauge wiring kit

Everything ran fine for a few days, until the amp for the most part shut off. After a bit of investigation, I found that the fuse holder had melted to a degree. The actual fuse appeared fine, but the fuse/fuse holder was no longer functional.

I then bought a new wiring kit, this time being a 6 gauge kit. I replaced the amp power cable and the ground with 6 gauge wiring, and everything was fine for a few days. However just earlier today, the fuse holder melted again. Once again, this rendered the fuse holder as unusable.

A friend of mine says that it's melting because my battery terminal is loose. While this does make sense to an extent, I'm not seeing how only the fuse holder is melting, and nothing is happening to the actual fuse or wiring anywhere else. Is it possible that this could be what's wrong? Also, what other factors could be causing this issue?

Had a rf1001bd do the same thing to a Walmart fuse holder. Trying to pull so much current and causes heat will do it. Never blew the fuse though.

yep choking it just enough to cause massive heat but not enough to pop it. Also loose connections will cause this but only at the connection point so your terminal has nothing to do with it but I would fix that as it's causing your amp to struggle for current and will fry it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.