amp on protect

i2ain2thunder
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
st paul, mn
I'll prob be replacing this pos it's given me nothing but problems, but anyway I have an ma audio hk602sx 3600 watt 2 channel amp. The protect light came on today as it has done before, a simple reset of the power to the amp usually fixes this problem, but now it seems to be permanent. Anyone have a list of potential causes for protect outside of the usual oh ur ground sux, or oh ur wiring isnmt connected right. I'm talking specifics on how that light comes on like exact reasons for it how it is programmed to work. My electrical is more than ample. 1/0 cadence wiring to it, 2 yellowtop batterys, a 350 amp alternater hooked up with 1/0 big 3 reading 14.7 volts no music, never below 12 volts with hard hitting bass. I am only using 500-700 watts on the amp right now, checked output on dmm to make sure imm giving it as close as possible to proper wattage, have no idea why the amp is in protect, ground is solid, sanded metal shiny connection been working for years, use same ground for speaker mp never had a problem. I'm drawing a blank.

Good question, as much as I know about car audio i'm kinda lacking in the electrical knowledge. I know impedance is resistance, measured in ohms, I know the sub is wired at 2 ohms that's about as far as it goes, I have a dmm though, there a good way to measure?

thx for the reply

Don't know much about this stuff either, but here are my thoughts:

I would guess that for whatever reason your amp is not at optimal condition with your system so it frequently goes to protect mode. You resetting the power makes it even more overworked and eventually a resistor or something broke/shorted inside. I would try hooking up another amp around the same power to your system and see if there are any problems. If not then it is probably just a pos amp like you said and not worth spending hundreds of dollars to get fixed. May not be correct but take it for what it's worth.

first off, what gauge wire are you running for the power, second, is that wire fused just after the battery? third, if everything else checks out, it has to be the ground. either your running to small of a wire, or your grounding point isnt sturdy. ive been through the same problem with multiple amps. resetting it like what you are doing, overtime will kill the amp. and i found on my last one, simply needed a bigger power wire.

All wiring to sub amp is 1/0. Big3 done in 1/0. 350 amp alternator, fused from front battery to back battery, fused distro block from rear battery to amps, 1/0 to sub amp, 4gauge to speaker amp. Grounds are very shiny, tight and legit. I have had this setup for a little over a year the protect issues are recent. Speaker amp uses same ground point 0 problems with speaker amp ever.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.