Amp ohm rating and stability

Participant count
  • Participant list

theRealGeo

Hey all, I'm new here, and looking to find a few things out.

I've currently got an Audioque AQ1200D amp. Its rated 510x1 @ 4 ohm, 870x1 @ 2 ohm, and 1200x1 @ 1 ohm. It is also rated at 1470x1 @ 1ohm with 5% THD.

My 3 questions are:

1. Is there a way to vary the THD percentage? I know what it stands for, but not what its actual functionality is.

2. Has anyone had experience with this amp and actually benchmarked its output?

3. I'm looking at putting two L7 10's on this, but I'm curious about wiring. I'm not sure if I should grab Dual 2's or Dual 4's. Which leads to my biggest question. I know amps are stability rated for a reason. If I were to go with the Dual 2's and wire down to .5 ohm, what problems am I looking at realistically? Total meltdown? I'm willing to take risks, because I know this would mean more power. But if someone could explain the possibilities, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

You do not control THD, it's just a measurement of the amount of distortion in the output signal. 5% is fairly high, I'm not sure why they would even publish such a number. I generally don't like to run amplifiers below their rated impedance but it's been done plenty of times so I'll let someone else field that question.

What does your electrical system consist of?

Don't do it. Your 1.0 liter Geo's alternator output will not support it, your voltage will drop way below the amp's minimum voltage needs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.