Amp Kit Brand Quality

yiorgaks

The title is pretty self-explanatory for this thread. Just wondering what everyone's take is of the different brands of amp kits out there. I only ask because of a crappy install I had done at Oxford Auto Sound (in Toronto) in which they used a generic off-brand to wire my system in my Civic. Aside from the part where they damaged my dashboard, wired my AM/FM antenna incorrectly, and did an overall sloppy job of laying down and organizing the wires, I recently had an issue in which my subwoofer stopped playing and nothing was being outputted from the amp according to my voltmeter. After I took it to Auto-Links (a much more reputable installer in Toronto), they were able to localize the problem to a torn RCA cable behind the head unit. I of course replaced the RCA cable and the problem resolved itself however it made me question the difference in brands between the various amp kits available on the market. The installer over at Auto-Links highly recommended Wirez due to its quality and reputability but I just wanted to see what everyone else's take on the matter was and maybe make this thread as a source of information for those looking at installing a new system in their vehicle.

I look forward to your responses. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's well known that there is a wide variety of quality among amplifier installation kits, both between brands and within the lines brands offer. Wirez is a reputable company with high quality wiring products. We offer two options for amplifier installation kits, a great option and a good option. I don't stock crappy kits at all anymore as they are not worth the hassle and reduced performance.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Does the brand quality matter only when the cables are carrying "information" (eg. higher quality RCA cables since they carry audio signals). In simpler terms, given that I was shafted into getting a cheap wiring kit for my install, will I have to worry about the performance/longevity of my other cables I have wired to my system (eg. power, grounding, remote)?

The only thing with the power wires to worry about is insulation quality of the conductor. If te jacket is PVC or similiar then I would suggest looking for replacement. If its any of the known brands and is marked on the wire you should be ok.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Does the brand quality matter only when the cables are carrying "information" (eg. higher quality RCA cables since they carry audio signals). In simpler terms, given that I was shafted into getting a cheap wiring kit for my install, will I have to worry about the performance/longevity of my other cables I have wired to my system (eg. power, grounding, remote)?
Higher quality RCAs are more for durability then anything. After a threshold (10-20$) threshold, your not gonna see any improvement in performance at all since dirt cheap ones aren't shielded that well. Any regular decent quality RCAs will do the job fine. Paying more for high dollar RCAs will not magically make the audio signal cleaner or stronger.

Properly shielded RCA cables will reject noise better than cheap unshielded cables. Not very many RCA cables are properly shielded.

Higher quality RCAs are more for durability then anything. After a threshold (10-20$) threshold, your not gonna see any improvement in performance at all since dirt cheap ones aren't shielded that well. Any regular decent quality RCAs will do the job fine. Paying more for high dollar RCAs will not magically make the audio signal cleaner or stronger.
You're not going to be able to find good, shielded RCA cables for $10-20. The price of 95%+ shielded cable, without connectors and labor, will be more than that. If you're not going to spend the money on quality RCAs you're just as well off using some $5 Walmart/Radioshack unshielded RCAs.

You're not going to be able to find good, shielded RCA cables for $10-20. The price of 95%+ shielded cable, without connectors and labor, will be more than that. If you're not going to spend the money on quality RCAs you're just as well off using some $5 Walmart/Radioshack unshielded RCAs.
People's ears are not gonna notice the difference between shielded ixos, audio technix, knu rcas vs some 80-200 dollar rcas. Unless your talking about true audiophiles with a picky ear and high grade dynaudio, dls, focal, scanspeak stuff that will actually benefit from such RCAs.

People's ears are not gonna notice the difference between shielded ixos, audio technix, knu rcas vs some 80-200 dollar rcas. Unless your talking about true audiophiles with a picky ear and high grade dynaudio, dls, focal, scanspeak stuff that will actually benefit from such RCAs.
Once again, those cables aren't properly shielded. There is a very audible difference in noise in many installs between properly shielded and inadequately/unshielded cables

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.