Amp keeps cutting out.

I'm running a Memphis 16-PR1KD 1000w Mono Class D amp, pushing two 12'' Power Acoustic Fubr.. rated at 700w-rms, 1800 peak. I have the gain almost all the way down on the amp.. and the Mhz.. It still hits hard.. but if I turn it up.. my protection light comes on the amp.. and I have to turn the head unit (Pioneer DEH-7600)off and back on.. any ideas? is the amp.. or what?

sounds like you may have some issues with the amp itself, or possibly a wiring problem. Sorry i cant be of more help... i just now bought one of these online like 10 mins ago and was looking for some opinions about it.

actually i have 2 12" FUBR's also and my amp (power acoustik) goes to protect mode when i play my system loud. i have the gain set at about half. idk if it has anything to do with the fact we have the same subs though....probably not

hmm... you guys might be onto something... maybe the amp just doesnt like the subs, wiring could be an issue, or maybe the amp *****... i bought one off ebay about 30 mins ago and im not liking what i read on the forums about it.

First things first. The amp can't "not like" the subs. It could be the amp is faulty, or a problem with your wiring.

is it overheating? That's very often the case when the sound cuts on/off.

i thought someone had said in some other thread that the pr1kd didnt have a bass boost. And another thing, when i ran my kicker tubes with my mrv-t757 alpine, the amp would sometimes cut out on occasion, but when i hooked up my ol' audiobahns (which ******) it pretty much cleared up. Okay, maybe the subs were a little past their prime, but the point im trying to make is that an amp will react differently to different sub configurations... at least thats what i think of my experiences. I think that an amp/sub combo should compliment each other and become one... lol hippies did somehting right didnt they?

Ya, i think basically those subs are ****, i have the same ones and have had nothing but problems with them. Can't wait to get my SX installed in place of them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif . But make sure your gains are set properly, use the gain setting tutorial, you can give these subs what your amp will put out.

FYI-I have one of these FUBR-12's hooked up to 600 rms at 4 ohms right now and it CAN take it, it just has hardly any output (I hate these ****ing subs).

If you're electrical cant take it, amps will cut out on under voltage normally....

The only case i had that was diff was on an amp with floating ground where the ground also had to goto ground on the speakers... (weird) or it will keep cutting out when u try to turn it up...??

Not enough electricity = Amp Cut out at higher volumes... due to under voltage.

Eg... if the amp has under voltage protection, then if you put 10V on it, the protect will stay on, put 11-14 and its fine, put more and it will also go on for over voltage protect....

So, if you're vehicles Electrical system dont have the power to supply the amp at high volumes, it may very well trip the under voltage protection. Some amps come back on, some stay tripped until power off/on. Cheaper ones usually come back on, hehe. had a old kenwood do that. You could see the Led on the top of it going dim. So if the Amp Cuts out on bass hits, it might just be the undervoltage protect tripping cause you dont have the power to supply the amp when it hits a bass freq.

But if you've done the big 3, have no light dimming, and/or got a good alt, then its probably somthing AMP related or Wiring related.

yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I like my alpine, cuz it never cuts out... one time it did, and it has a time delay turn-on after tripping low voltage. Cuts out until sufficient voltage is present.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.