Amp issue? new system

Participant count
  • Participant list

AndyGiff

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hi guys, just finally finished installing my system and I am having an issue with my subwoofer. Here are my setup details.

Electrical- Mechman ho alt ( 280 ), xs power D5100 all zero gauge power grounds

head unit is Pioneer AVH-P2400BT -using fronts as input to dsp (input 1 and 2), as well as the subs out into dsp (input 3 and 4 ) ( getting some noise from HU as well, its clear while streaming though, still working on this issue as well lol )

dayton 408 dsp w bt dongle

2x pioneer amps bridged at 2x300watt each for mid and mid bass (prv 6.5 neos and anarchy 704s)
1 alpine ab amp for my tweets 2x150watt (massive audio CT2 II tweets)
1 skar rp 2000.1d for my skar 10" evl dvc 2 ohm sub wired to one ohm ( using far left positive and far right negative speaker terminal on amp for sub woofer speaker line)

So far everything minus the sub is working great! Sub has some sound coming out of it but it is playing like its a 20 watt amp, started with gain at a quarter which should have had the sub thumping hard, I can barely get any bass out of it even with volume at max, dsp maxed, gain way up at like 60%, ive double checked all my freq on the channels as well as running the amp seperate from the dsp to see what was going on, same volume with or without the dsp, I am thinking I maybe got a dud amp or something? Could anyone give me a few ideas to check that would tell me if its a dud or not or if I am being an idiot? I was very careful with all my wiring, used the best stuff, double checked all my connections, tried a separate sub as well with the amp and got same results ( was at 2 ohms instead of 1 ohm but still should have been shaking the whole damn garage ) Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! I am stuck and just not sure on what to do at the moment, seems like everything else is golden except for the sub / amp problem.

Power wise the skar amp is run right off of the zero gauge from the battery, I split it using a block to go to the other amps and have zero gauge going into the amp itself, double checked the ground, seemed fine, using a ground block with zero gauge attaching to bare metal on chasis in trunk. Power light on the amp is on and the protect light has not come on at all, subsonic, low pass etc are where they should be. Any help would be great guys, taken me forever to get to this point, any other trouble shooting I can do to figure it out let me know, I am still a bit of a amateur.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Andy

Also checked power, its getting good power at 14.4 at the amp, tried using different speaker connection swapping to the unused pos and neg on amp ( amp has two pos and two neg terminals but both go to one actual connection inside the amp ). Tried different rca cords as well with no real changes, for any bit of decent little bass I can get its with the HU at max volume and gain way up ( which shouldnt be needed ) and +6 on sub level on HU and dsp out for sub channel at max. Any help at all guys?

Well I called Skar and spoke with a rep there and went through a few basic things etc, going to get a rma on it and see if there is an issue with the amp itself, I can not think of anything else it could be at the moment.

Also checked power, its getting good power at 14.4 at the amp, tried using different speaker connection swapping to the unused pos and neg on amp ( amp has two pos and two neg terminals but both go to one actual connection inside the amp ). Tried different rca cords as well with no real changes, for any bit of decent little bass I can get its with the HU at max volume and gain way up ( which shouldnt be needed ) and +6 on sub level on HU and dsp out for sub channel at max. Any help at all guys?
simple solution to know if the amp is the culprit or not is to get an aux to RCA splitter and play bass songs straight from the phone to the amp to see if you get any difference in output. If there's a difference then its one of your DSP settings. If its still bad then its the amp.

simple solution to know if the amp is the culprit or not is to get an aux to RCA splitter and play bass songs straight from the phone to the amp to see if you get any difference in output. If there's a difference then its one of your DSP settings. If its still bad then its the amp.
Hey Jeffdachef, thanks for the help I appreciate it! I will head out and grab one just to check, I ran the amp from the HU as well though and it did the same thing. For only a few bucks it cant hurt so I will give it a go. Thanks man!

Jeffdachef, you are the man! I tried it out this morning and it worked! Now here is where it gets super weird, I unplugged the rca from the amp and put the rca that was previously plugged in back into the amp, ( insert crazy voodoo magic here ) it all works with no issue at all now like I did not have a problem at all. I have no idea how who what when etc but my whole system is working great now. I plugged that same set of rcas in and out of that amp for what seemed like fifty times yesterday trying to trouble shoot it and today it just...works LOL Thanks again man, and thank you for all of your help way back like 8 months ago when I was getting everything. It rocks just like I wanted it to! Now though I have to deal with tuning it all LOL wish me luck!

Jeffdachef, you are the man! I tried it out this morning and it worked! Now here is where it gets super weird, I unplugged the rca from the amp and put the rca that was previously plugged in back into the amp, ( insert crazy voodoo magic here ) it all works with no issue at all now like I did not have a problem at all. I have no idea how who what when etc but my whole system is working great now. I plugged that same set of rcas in and out of that amp for what seemed like fifty times yesterday trying to trouble shoot it and today it just...works LOL Thanks again man, and thank you for all of your help way back like 8 months ago when I was getting everything. It rocks just like I wanted it to! Now though I have to deal with tuning it all LOL wish me luck!
good luck with the tuning man. What can I say, i have the magic touch even through a computer screen LOL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.