Amp help

Participant count
  • Participant list
So a buddy of mine has an issue with his amp where when he starts his car it goes into protect for a bout 5 minutes everytime and then is fine.. it's weird how it always takes. 5 minutes for it to come out of protect and when it does there's never an issue. What could that problem be?

This is similar to a thread yesterday... is your ambient temp really high outside/hot interior?.. what brand of amp is this one causing problems?.. may be that some airflow is needed to cool it a little allowing the thermal protection to turn off... I've been around car audio for 25 years and have never seen an amp that's in protect as soon as the car is started then 5 minutes later plays with no problems... good luck!

The problem he's having as you described makes it sound like adding a cooling fan blowing on the heatsink could shorten the time the amp is in protect... or run the fan for a minute before turning the amp on... as far as making this problem go away he might have to have some change something internal in the amp or buy another... My Rockfords that I've run over the years have never done anything remotely like this... and I live in PHX AZ!.. This is something that if it was in my car... even in Phoenix... I would contact Rockford about as they probably will wonder what's up in this case as well... IDK... Good Luck!

yeah it's probably eat guy in Arizona said same thing., get a fan i guess, put windows down when 1st take off let it cool faster, idk what amp it os but i'd bet it's a cheaper one..

yeah it's probably eat guy in Arizona said same thing., get a fan i guess, put windows down when 1st take off let it cool faster, idk what amp it os but i'd bet it's a cheaper one..
He did say Rockford... that IS unusual...

yeah they normally pretty good amps.. could just be location it's mounted or maybe some delayed turn on messing up but i'm sure it's heat related..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.