Amp help.

I love JBL too, they make some very high value products at a low price like the MS-62C's. I like the JL as well for it size and power. I am just looking around for the best value. Also if you run a/b amp to the front components vs a d amp does it make a difference in sound quality?
It used to. I personally can't hear the difference. The Class D full range amps today are all pretty good so you may not be able to hear the difference either. Obviously some are better than others. I just moved from an "SQ" A/B to a class D and I can't hear the difference. Granted it's a "good" one, but still. That JL is a good one. Even that little PPi is a good one. I wish they'd get off their ass and get that phantom 5 channel on the market already.

There will be purists that will swear to you that they can hear the difference between A/B and D. But the (arguably) best SQ car on the planet right now uses all class D amps.

[quote name='TaylorFade']Dude... not everybody is worried about "loud." Some people actually enjoy music. Not volume for volume's sake. Do you hae any idea how much power you're actually giving your highs? Even at "loud" levels? I think you'd be surprised.[/QUOTE]
Read the end of my second post.

@\-Josh\-; not if you dont know the clipping point of your head unit and amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
It used to. I personally can't hear the difference. The Class D full range amps today are all pretty good so you may not be able to hear the difference either. Obviously some are better than others. I just moved from an "SQ" A/B to a class D and I can't hear the difference. Granted it's a "good" one, but still. That JL is a good one. Even that little PPi is a good one. I wish they'd get off their ass and get that phantom 5 channel on the market already.
There will be purists that will swear to you that they can hear the difference between A/B and D. But the (arguably) best SQ car on the planet right now uses all class D amps.
I know, if ppi did have the 900.5 on the market I wouldn't be in this situation. So it is just based on preference, I follow. Personally, I prefer the D because it won't tax my electrical system as much. That is why I originally listed mostly d styled amps. One last thing about a sub, just so I can clear this up. If want a nice accurate, deep, and tight bass so I would go with a sealed enclosure?

[quote name='calebkhill']Read the end of my second post.

@\-Josh\-; not if you dont know the clipping point of your head unit and amp.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

I know, if ppi did have the 900.5 on the market I wouldn't be in this situation. So it is just based on preference, I follow. Personally, I prefer the D because it won't tax my electrical system as much. That is why I originally listed mostly d styled amps. One last thing about a sub, just so I can clear this up. If want a nice accurate, deep, and tight bass so I would go with a sealed enclosure?
Sealed doesn't have the low end extension or efficiency of a ported box. If you have the room, I'd go ported. Especially with the lower power levels of those 5 channels. But as we've discussed already in this thread, you may not care about output.

Sealed doesn't have the low end extension or efficiency of a ported box. If you have the room, I'd go ported. Especially with the lower power levels of those 5 channels. But as we've discussed already in this thread, you may not care about output.
Do you mean hitting the lower frequencies? You are correct I don't really care about the output levels in regards to loudness. I would match the sub based on the amp I pick. But with putting in a ported enclosure they take up to much space unless I were to go with something like one of JL's microsubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, do you know if that the JBL amp has a bass knob that you can buy for it? I can't seem to find one.

So I decided to go with the Alpine MRX-V70. Now I am looking for a sub for my system, out the ones I picked out, which do you think will best fit my application. The sub will be in a sealed enclosure.
Compare: Component Subwoofers at Crutchfield.com
Id look at a Dayton DVC 4ohm 10,or 12 for the price you would be buying a JL sub for, and they come with a 5yr warranty.Sound great in sealed enclosures,as well as ported,small spaceshttp://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-463,and will be great on that amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-463

Id look at a Dayton DVC 4ohm 10,or 12 for the price you would be buying a JL sub for, and they come with a 5yr warranty.Sound great in sealed enclosures,as well as ported,small spaceshttp://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-463,and will be great on that amphttp://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-463
Thanks for the recommendation, I actually really like that sub. Not to beat a dead horse though, what is the difference between a 10 inch and a 12 inch subwoofer?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.