Amp has power but subs suddenly do not have output

Participant count
  • Participant list

VolvoAcoustic

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
I've had this system for 15 years in 3 different cars. It has always worked.

One day a couple weeks ago I was driving and the subs turned off. I checked the HU, the RCA, I hooked the subs up to a receiver and they work, the amp has power and isn't in protect.

I ordered a new amp and the same issue.

The other day I turned the car on and the subs were working fine suddenly. I didn't change anything. The next day I went to test again and back to no subs.

The only thing I can think of is the amp is getting enough power to turn on but not enough power to push the subs? How would this happen suddenly and how can I test for that?

Could a bad ground be the cause? Nothing has changed ground wise. I don't understand.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Fuse is fine yes.

Amp is Power Acoustik OV2-1200. Subs are 2 600w Super Blue.

I went out to check the sub make and realized one thing I hadn't tried is only having 1 sub hooked up. I unhooked the left and tried and wow, it's working. I then swapped the speakers and the other didn't work so I guess the one is blown then right?

So I hooked the one that worked back up and it doesn't work now either, even though it did just a few minutes earlier.

A sub can be blown and still read fine, ohm-wise. It's either that or too low of nominal ohm load on your amp. That's what I would look for.

See if when you push on your subs if you hear any rubbing. Look at the coils through the motor if you can, or the motor-basket gap, if there is one.

For anyone that finds this thread, it was an issue with the ground. Not sure why it suddenly stopped working but I cleaned up the paint and cleaned up the connections and it's working again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.