Amp goes into protect mode with heavy bass at medium to high volume

zavvier

I recently bought a sub and amp. The sub is a 4 ohm kicker 10c, but a multimeter reads it at around 2 ohms. When bass plays, the volume of the speakers drops significantly and the amp goes into protect mode.

I have searched the web extensively in an attempt to fix it, but I haven't figured anything out. Any help is much appreciated.

1) Make sure your wired to a proper ohm load the amp can handle....something less some amps can't handle it and go straight into protect mode

2) Check ground wire. Should be bare metal to bare metal

3) Insufficient power/ground wire. In other words, too small.

4) Lose connection somewhere.

5) Gain on amp set too high. Set accordingly with DMM and RCA input voltage on HU.

Thank you for your quick response. The ground wire is under a seat belt bolt, and I angle grinded the paint off to make it bare metal to bare metal. The power and ground wires are 4 gauge, which was recommended for the amp by Pioneer. The connections are tight and strong. I have been playing with gain and volume to try to fix it but to no avail. The amp handles a 2 ohm to 4 ohm load for bridged terminals, but the sub is reading a lower resistance than it should. Could this be the problem, and if it is, how could I fix it?

4 ohm Kicker 10" svc reading 2 ohms?.. I'd try another driver personally, that sub should read around 3.8 ohm at rest in my experience.

The input terminal voltage is 14.7 volts and I believe the alternator puts out 12 volts and has a current of 60-80 amps. It's a 97 Civic.
I bet thats your problem right there. You don't have a good enough electrical system to supply the amp. Whats the voltage at the amp when it goes into protect? You only have 30-40a to supply the amp, if it needs more current your voltage will drop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.