Amp goes into protect mode- burning smell and spark at speaker wire!

Participant count
  • Participant list

jdwarre

hey everyone!

So I am having a problem with my amp.

My current setup has been working great for the past 2 years, zero problems until last week..

I was going along and then boom my sub cut out and I realized my amp had gone into "protect mode".

I turned off my car and then turned it back on and everything was fine until I turned my volume up and them boom.. again.. sub cut off and the amp went into protect mode!

I unhooked everything from the amp, re-connected it all, tested it out and whenever I play my stereo at loud volume, there is a spark on my positive speaker wire where the amp is then it goes into protect mode and I can smell plastic burning..

Any suggestions on how to fix this please?

Thank you very much in advance!!

Recheck where your ground is connected to the body of the car. Sometimes they can get loose with the bass vibrating the panels. It wont hurt to check your battery connections at the same time also

Hopefully none of the mosfets or voice coils got fried. Take out the subs and check their voice coils to see if they got burned. Also check their resistance with a multi meter in ohms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.