Amp Fuse Popped

Participant count
  • Participant list

Preston019
10+ year member

Texas
Hey guys,

I just did the Big 3 upgrade and installed a second amp in my vehicle. I ran 1/0 gauge for the Big 3 and a 1/0 gauge to a distribution block that went to my 2 amps. And from the distribution block I had 4 gauge wires running to each amp. I fused the wire from the alternator to the battery with a 200 amp fuse. I fused the wire from the battery to the distribution block with a 200 amp fuse.

The distribution block is fused and I used 80 amp fuses for both outputs. The distribution block is a JL audio XD-FDBU-2 way distribution block. I ordered the distribution block online, but once I received it, the packaging on it said 100amp max, but nowhere online did it ever give me those details so I thought it didn't matter and that they're just trying to make you buy their next model up.

Amp 1 is a Kenwood KAC-8405 running at 60W RMS at 4 ohms, pushing two speakers that are 40W RMS. Amp 2 is a Kenwood X500-1 running at 500W RMS at 2 ohms pushing two Kenwood KFC-XW10 subs 300W RMS at 4 ohms each. I know the subs are wired correctly and they both work because I've tested them with Amp 1.

Well, my problem is that once I started my vehicle with everything plugged in, after about 2 minutes, I heard a small pop and the music stopped playing through Amp 2. I checked all of the bigger fuses in the engine compartment and the distribution block and none of them had blown. Then I checked the fuses on the distribution block and they were still good. Then I checked the fuses on Amp 2 and only 1 of the 2 30 amp fuses had blown on the amp. I don't have another fuse right now so I can't test it again.

But my question is, could this just be a faulty fuse, or am I wiring something wrong? For the Big 3, I ran a wire from battery negative to ground, a wire from engine block to ground, and a wire from the alternator to the battery with an inline fuse of 200 amps. Or could this be a matter of the distribution block only allowing "100 Amp Max" for the fuses? Also, I used a DMM right at Amp 2 and I was getting voltage. I'm stuck and I don't want to keep blowing fuses all day long.

Any suggestions/input will be greatly appreciated!

Your problem is not with the distro block. Looking at your equipment, everything seems to be wired correctly. I would replace both fuses and see what happens. Fuses can get weak overtime, its odd to me only one fuse blew, if it were an equipment issue.

Its funny that you post this........ I was playing around with a kenwood mono amp the other day and it randomly nuked the 40 amp fuse. I replaced it and had no issues after that. Fuses like anything else can be defective I guess.

Its funny that you post this........ I was playing around with a kenwood mono amp the other day and it randomly nuked the 40 amp fuse. I replaced it and had no issues after that. Fuses like anything else can be defective I guess.
Really? That's strange. Have you ever had this happen to another amp before? I hope that's the only thing thats wrong with mine; luckily it's under warranty.

Really? That's strange. Have you ever had this happen to another amp before? I hope that's the only thing thats wrong with mine; luckily it's under warranty.
It shouldn't happen under normal operating conditions and I can't remember of another amp I owned that did the same thing . I have heard of it happening before though. It seems odd though because fuses can handle a lot more than their rated current for short periods of time. Its almost like you would have had to have been pulling twice the current through those fuses they were rated for which didnt happen.

Well I replaced the fuse, but now the amp will not turn on... getting correct voltage to amp, getting voltage to remote turn on wire, but nothing happens.

I checked both fuses on the amp and neither have blown.

Any other suggestions?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.