Amp for JL c2 650s

steelegrant

CarAudio.com Newbie
texas
I have 2 sets of the jl c2 650s(4 total). Looking for an effective amp that will leave room for a sub upgrade in the future. If someone could help me out I’m completely lost. Each of the speakers are rated at 60 max rms. Thanks in advance

No recommendation can be made without a budget.

Since you need 4 channels now, and possibly a 5 for the sub later, you'll either not have room or need a 2nd amp. Don't care to use a 5 channel amp with 1 channel sitting idle.

Matching speaker rms wattage and the amps rms power is the way to go.
Your c2650s are 60 so if you have an amp w 75-80 you’ll have over head. These amps are not created equal. Some will have 125 wattsx4 and one w 70 may be far better sounding. The one having the highest number isn’t always best.
Explore the cheapest and most expensive 4ch amps, compare options, determine how many options you want and what’s important to you.
A five channel typically has the sub channel at 200-400 watts. If this is satisfactory then look for a nice 5 ch. if you want more power for your sub/s wait and get an amp when you decide on sub/s size and power consumption.
A 4ch can be $80 on amazon and have decent stats but once you get it it may have a name brand sticker covering the crap brand it is. Bait and switch, buyer beware.
On the other hand a 4 channel can be $500-600 but how much is too much?
This you’ll have to determine as well.
Stick to trusted authorized online retailers.

My philosophy is purchase the most quality watts for the $$ 4 channel you can afford, then worry about the sub later. Don’t worry about the current speaker watt rating, always buy the most high quality wattage you can afford. You can never have too much power but you can have too little. I too would never buy a 5 channel and let a channel sit idle when you could use the difference towards the current 4 channel set up. The post is a little vague. Need to know things like size constraints, (Again, budget) Sound goals, etc. I mean, you could get a tiny Focal FPX 4.800 new off eBay for $450-$500, top quality in a tiny package or a Focal 4.160 for $700, both excellent amps but quite a bit different in design and size. Right now, Taramps has some of the best 4 channel, watt for dollar amps you can get. At 4ohms, you get 4x136watts RMS with the TS 800x4 for a paltry $150.00. Recoil makes a pretty good Chinese build shop 4 channel amp, the DI650.2 which gives you 210 watts RMS x 4, for a measly $123 if you can grab when they have them, they’re constantly selling out. They have another, the DI800.4, 4x185 for $132 that looks an awful lot like the CT Sounds CT-150.1D, 4x150 at $199.9 and is probably from the same build house. Recoil is not exactly a household name for amps but has received some really good dyno reviews on YouTube, by reputable tubers! These are just suggestions. Figure out what the size limitations are then find say 6 brands/models that are within your price range and then ask for recommendations from people on why one or the other is the way to go - that is what I would recommend. I would shoot for amplifiers that are at least 80 to100x4. Stay with brands like those mentioned in here. If it claims to be too good for the money, it probably is (like PowerAcoustic) craptastic amplifiers!

Last edited:
5ch amps are tough to make work, and I would never buy or suggest getting one. If you buy one, you are then limited to whatever sub works with that wattage. If you ever want to upgrade either the components or the sub, you are screwed. A 5 ch amp will generally cost about as much as two amps that it replaces too, so you aren't saving any money going that route. It will also be bigger, so depending on your space, it might not fit where you can have two smaller amps fit in different places.

If you aren't even planning on getting the sub now either, no way would I get a 5ch amp that you don't know what to plan for. Get a 4ch amp for your components, and then when you're ready for a sub, get a sub and an amp that work together, and you aren't already going to be limited to what that 5ch amp can do. The only thing you will have to change is getting distribution blocks. Just get your power wire for as big as you MIGHT need for your end goals, and the worst case is you cut a couple feet off when you use a distribution block.

I have 2 sets of the jl c2 650s(4 total). Looking for an effective amp that will leave room for a sub upgrade in the future. If someone could help me out I’m completely lost. Each of the speakers are rated at 60 max rms. Thanks in advance
Whats your budget? What Vehicle? What size is your Supply wiring for the demand and ground for the amplifier/ amplifiers? Is the wiring OFC or CCA? What size and type battery do you currently have? Is your alternator Stock or an aftermarket HO alt? what is the amperage of your alternator/alt? Is your vehicles electrical all stock? How much space are you willing to give up for the amplifier?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...