JL 500/1 Amp Settings?

chris0247

Hi guys...

I'm pushing a JL 12W6v2 in the ProWedge sealed box with a JL 500.1 Amp... also have 4 Boston Pro 6.5's running off an Alpine 9833 if that matters at all...

Anyways, the amp has so many settings I don't know where to begin. Can anyone recommend ideal settings for my sub amp for this setup? Also any settings on the deck for the sub or anything too? Any help would be appreciated! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

OK

Turn signal sensing off.

Turn off the infrasonic filter.

set the Amp LP filter mode/slope whcih has either 12 or 24db to 24db.

set the LP filter to 70 or 80 hz

set "Input Voltage" to low

set the input sensitivity as desired and or recommended

Do not worry about the PreAmp output section

Do you have the remote bass Knob for this amp? If you use it set the "Q" to 1.1

set the center freq to 40hz and using the knob will be you "DB" boost. This enables you to adjust the sub's volume with a quick touch of the knob. Be careful with this because it is a 15db boost which could clip the signal and damage your sub. If you do not have the remote knob I would turn the bass Eq off.

Let me know how these settings work for you

This is going to be completely install/setup dependent. Just play with it till you find the setting that sounds best. You may need to go lower, like 50hz or 60hz for your particular setup.

So I tried some of your suggestions and it sounded good until the Low ohm light came on the amp... sorry I don't know much about these things, what does it mean and what could cause it?

That amp is designed to run subs between 1.5-4 ohms. The ohms as your amps sees it depends on what the ohms of your sub(s) are and how you have them wired. What subs do you have: are they dual voicecoil 4ohm etc or dual 2 ohm??

Those subs come in dual 4 ohm only. You probably have them running total @1ohm which is rather low for that amp and that is why the light is coming on. You need to first wire the subs like diagram "A" on page 3 of the link below which is called series.

The output of the amp has two positives and two negatives (see the second link). You will run one set of speaker wire from the + and - of the amp to one sub then you just do the same thing and run the other set of speaker wire from the other + and - on the amp to the other sub (just like hooking up two speakers on a home stereo). This will give you a 4ohm load which is within the amps range to produce full power.

http://jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf

http://jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/500_1.pdf

Reading these old posts…the last one is incorrect. That would make a 2ohm load on single 4ohm subs but, as he himself said, those subs are dual 4ohm. Your choices are 1ohm, 4ohm (like mine), and 8ohms.

Reading these old posts…the last one is incorrect. That would make a 2ohm load on single 4ohm subs but, as he himself said, those subs are dual 4ohm. Your choices are 1ohm, 4ohm (like mine), and 8ohms.

So that means you need to bump a 19 year old thread?

really.jpg

OK

Turn signal sensing off.

Turn off the infrasonic filter.

set the Amp LP filter mode/slope whcih has either 12 or 24db to 24db.

set "Input Voltage" to low

set the input sensitivity as desired and or recommended

Do not worry about the PreAmp output section

Do you have the remote bass Knob for this amp? If you use it set the "Q" to 1.1

set the center freq to 40hz and using the knob will be you "DB" boost. This enables you to adjust the sub's volume with a quick touch of the knob. Be careful with this because it is a 15db boost which could clip the signal and damage your sub. If you do not have the remote knob I would turn the bass Eq off.

Let me know how these settings work for you
I have same said 500/1 v2. And 2 13 w6v2 in a ported n tuned box. I had settings wrong a now one sub is damaged but works. I have a bass knob but uses aux cord not the one that came with amp, where should settings be at.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...