Amp filters?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Abo

think before you type and please make it right
Unknown
On a 4 channel amp on the rear and front channels there are hp and lp and full settings to choose from. If I’m running 6.5” components in front and 6.5” drivers in the rear. Where would I set the switches? On hpf, lpf, or full? For the front and the rear? Since there are 2 switches. The components in front of coarse have a passive crossover designed for the driver and tweeter for each side. I know I don’t set any of them on low pass. I was thinking I might set one or both on full instead of setting them both on hpf. Or am I wrong? I was always under the impression that I set both at 80hz and turn both switches to hpf. But I was speaking to somebody and full range got brought up and now I’m questioning myself. Because if the drivers can’t pick up the frequency then I don’t see any reason why it would hurt to set the switches on full because the drivers would only catch frequencies they are able to and the crossovers in the front will protect the tweeters. Am I getting at the right direction or am I’m going the wrong way? Or could the low frequencies harm my drivers. I should go with what I have it at already? I have it at 80hz both front and rear and both switches on hpf.

Last edited:
If I set them on full that means it doesn’t matter where I put the frequency filters or do I keep them on 80 hz or does it even matter?

And what if my drivers aren’t full range drives and are just mid bass or mid range drivers? Would the amp set on hpf 80 hz just allow 80 hz and above frequencies to the drivers and my sub amp is set lpf 80 hz and allows all frequencies under 80 hz to play. Will there be a frequency level around 70 or something that won’t catch or something. And if so, can I just set my sub amp at lpf 60 hz and my 4 channel amp on hpf 60hz. Or set the sub amp at 70 hz or maybe leave it at 80 hz and then put the 4 channel amp on hpf 60 or 70 hz, depending if the sub amp is 70 hz or 80 hz, so I don’t miss a note because of the overlap? I don’t understand the whole full concept. Can u please elaborate? Wouldn’t full cause distortion to my rear drivers that don’t have crossovers?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.