Amp cutting out on bass hits, but amp not in protection mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

atownmack
10+ year member

I just swapped amps from a Power Acoustik BAMF 5500 to a JL Audio 500/1. BAMF was running fine, but with the JL Audio whenever the bass hits or I turn the volume up, the sub wont play. The amp is cool to the touch, (not even slightly warm.) The sub is an elipse 8122 dvc 4ohm wired to 2 ohms. Does anyone have any ideas that may help?

Bad ground. Re do the amps ground and see if it continues.
Ill try that. I use a 0 gauge power and ground and split that to a 4 gauge wires to power a 4 channel amp and a mono amp. They both share the same ground and have had no issues with this set up for over 3 years. The 4 channel is running fine, but the mono amps are giving trouble with big bass hits.

The Power Acoustik was not requiring the amperage the JL is. So as it pulls amps its not getting the adequate ground. I had a friend with a Soundstream Amp I installed and scratched my head for an hour trying to figure out what I did wrong. It would power on, play at low volumes, turn up the volume and it would shut down. I redid the ground and was golden. Its the easiest to check and replace, so start there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.