Long post but help is greatly needed i don't know what to do!

Participant count
  • Participant list

CarAudioNoob899

Kansas
Ive spent that last few days searching the internet trying to learn the best way to run my set up without screwing up and damaging something but quite frankly i just cant figure it out and i could greatly use some help. id rather not have to take it in and have someone else do it because i love the feeling of being able to do it myself but if i have to i will so hopefully you all can help! Sorry in advanced for such a long post and also if im not the most technically correct. I'm still learning but if more detail is needed i can provide it.

Before explaining what ive come up with and my questions heres a run through of my equipment

All of the items listed below are installed in my 2000 ford mustang that comes equipped with the 460 mach sound system (from research apparently its a terrible set up)

The Mach 460 sound system is composed of the following:

4 midrange tweeters, four woofers, and three amplifiers for a total wattage of 460.

Speakers : Front

2- 2.5" speakers for high frequency

2 - 5.5 x 7.5 speakers for low frequency

Back

2- 2.5" speakers for high frequency

2 - 5.5 x 7.5 speakers for low frequency

Amp specs

A high and mid pass amp with a 120 watt max capacity and 60 watt normal capacity.

The 2 mid and low pass amps produce 170-watt peak capacity and 85-watt normal capacity

Impedance rate for the three amps is 4 ohms at 2% THD

if more info is needed click on the mach 460 side bar on this webpage

FLEMWORLD

I currently have a kenwood kdc mp 145 HU which replaced the cassette player. Pg 19 of this instruction manuel contains the kenwood specs.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Consumer/Manuals/kdcmp145.pdf

my subwoofer amp is an Autotek axl 1050.2. it is a 2 channel 1000 watt. Capable of 4 and 2 ohm stereo per channel, or 4 ohms mono bridged operation. Cross over filters are 12db/octave. Its wired with a 4 gauge power and ground plus remote turn on. each sub is wired to its own channel. Internal Cross over function can be slid to LPF, the built in low pass, variable from 30 hz to 250 hz. With the switch at LPF the High Pass filter acts as a subsonic filter and a 0 to +12db at 45 hz bass -eq is switched in. RCA cables plugged into the .2v to 6v line input. Installation manual suggests crossover settings of an 11 o clock lpf i would guess roughly 80 hz and for the bass -eq set at 3 o clock, approximately 9db when the mode switch is on mono.

http://www.autotekcaraudio.com/manuals/current/AXLAmplifierManual.pdf

for subwoofers i have two 12" svc power reference Memphis subs with 250 rms and 500 peak sensitivity 86db and magnet size 60 oz

15PR12S4V2 - Memphis Car Audio

They are in a dual 12 inch ported box. This rectangle box outer diameters are 14 3/4" tall, 32 1/4" wide, and 21" depth. The vent is located in the middle of the box with a width of about 4 1/2" the divider in the vent is 1" thick, 13" tall and extends 13" from the back of the box. The outer walls of the vent, also the inner walls enclosing the subs are 14 1/4 in depth leaving a 2 1/4 gap to the back of the box. The subs sit slightly angled inwards from my best guess maybe 15 or 20 degrees not absolutely positive and unfortunately i do not know the brand of box. Hopefully these measurements are of use please let me know if there are any more that would be helpful.

The box was far to large to fit into my trunk so i took out the bottom half of my back seats so that i could create a flat surface by pulling the top halves down and setting the box on top of them. The subs face the opening leading to my trunk.

My HU can switch the pre out from rear to subwoofer would it be smart to use the subwoofer rather than the rear? it also has speaker settings, should i set it at SP OEM for my factory speakers? And how about turning on the subwoofer output and setting the subwoofer low pass filter at either "85" "120" or "165"? Is adjusting the subwoofer level from my HU advised or should i keep it a 0? Even if a setting is best determined by ear a suggestion to put me on the right track would be helpful

If my amp is switched to the appropriate cross over function that makes the hpf now a subsonic filter what would be an appropriate setting for the subsonic filter? Correct level setting for my HU? Are the subs okay wired left sub to left channel and right sub to right channel? Is having a lpf through both my HU and Amp advised? Suggested lpf knob setting? Correct switch position for the cross over and mode?

As long of a post as it is i thank you for taking the time to make it this far. Ive spent countless hours trying to solve this puzzle and ill keep trying until ive found the correct way. So basically im asking for the correct settings between my HU and Amp to correctly power everything as close to the best result possible. I've tried explaining everything i could as well as i understand it and i will gladly try to clarify anything if it doesnt make sense. I know ive just unloaded a heeping pile of information and questions but for as little as i actually know about the science behind car audio i greatly need the help. ill appreciate and listen to all advice, tips, suggestions, or comments. If you can lead me in the right direction please dont hesitate, im desperate for help.

also if a picture of my box would help in anyway i can provide one

Omg dude...why don't you just take your car to a shop and let someone else do this? That is far too many ?? to ask at once. You should use the pre out for subwoofer and let the HU do the work. Set subwoofer to on and use 85 hz as cover. You can adjust the sub level using your HU, thats fine. The sub's will be fine wired the way they care , turn the HPF down, most music isn't that deep anyway, do not cascade LPF , only use the HU for that, set the switch to Full

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.