Amp Choice

crimmer

Hey guys, I am looking to buy some subs and amp. I have the subs narrowed down to Sundown SA-12

SA-12 D2 REV.3 or the DS18 EXL-XXB12.4D. How do these subs compare? They will be in the back of a PT Cruiser. Amp wise I am looking at

Hifonics Zeuz ELITE ZEX3350.1D or

Kicker CX Series CX1800.1 or any other suggestions you may have that would work with those.

Big three is being done this weekend. Are you saying no to hifonics? I don't quite understand what you were trying to say
Yeah, he's saying no to Hifonics. They usually don't do rated and are on the hungry side.

Gotcha, thank you, so do you think the kicker amp would be a good choice for those subs?
You can get a Wolfram 3000.1 for $360 but they won't be in for a month. Does rated (and some) and gives you headroom. The Soundqubed 2250 is a good budget choice too. Do you have your box already?

Whatever you do... if you go with the Sa-12's... try for 4-4.5ft3 net tuned 35hz or under and power em right... they like to be pushed. Personally I'd look for 1.5k minimum... lol

No TS parameters for the ds18 on their website (or i missed them?) But this woofer does have a 3" coil vs the 2.5" in the Sa, and the sensitivity is a bit less.

That said, id second the sa. i have 2 of them and they get loud on a 2k amp. Dont get anything less than 1.5k amp per sa-12. You will never get the subs to full potential after box rise.

[quote name='Clifff150']Yeah, he's saying no to Hifonics. They usually don't do rated and are on the hungry side.[/QUOTE]
the kicker is probably ok lets see what @bigblank69 says.. most hifonics amps say a 1200 is lucky if it does 600 and many of them have problems.. for same or little more $ u get better amp.. if u get a clean 2k hifonics from a friend for $50 he1l yeah, $100 or more get something else.. (to be clear) if u get another amp that's 1ohm stable u will have to get d4 subs (we see peeps ordering wrong ones all the time) just for fun look at fu750 12's $179 and i'd bet will beat a SA.. most peeps here like the sa, idk how many fu fans around but they get loud on over 1k each ported.. FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio

Box not yet. I found a custom designed one but idk if going with that one yet

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

[quote name='BOOMINGRANDPA']the kicker is probably ok lets see what @bigblank69 says.. most hifonics amps say a 1200 is lucky if it does 600 and many of them have problems.. for same or little more $ u get better amp.. if u get a clean 2k hifonics from a friend for $50 he1l yeah, $100 or more get something else.. (to be clear) if u get another amp that's 1ohm stable u will have to get d4 subs (we see peeps ordering wrong ones all the time) just for fun look at fu750 12's $179 and i'd bet will beat a SA.. most peeps here like the sa, idk how many fu fans around but they get loud on over 1k each ported.. FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot I'll check them out too.

The Kicker amp will do its rated power... In fact I retested my KXM1200.1 on my amp dyno... And it does exactly what the birth sheet says unlike my previous dyno... I also tested a KXM400.2 and it also did dead on to what the birthsheet says... So I imagine the CX will do its rated as well...

As for the Hifonics..... NO just NO... Got a 1116.1D here now.... it does terrible. The higher up the ratings you go the more they miss by....

As for subs, if your limited by your two picks, the SA is a better option then the DS18... Sundown atleast engineered the SA... DS-18 is strictly a remarketing company.

The Kicker amp will do its rated power... In fact I retested my KXM1200.1 on my amp dyno... And it does exactly what the birth sheet says unlike my previous dyno... I also tested a KXM400.2 and it also did dead on to what the birthsheet says... So I imagine the CX will do its rated as well...
As for the Hifonics..... NO just NO... Got a 1116.1D here now.... it does terrible. The higher up the ratings you go the more they miss by....

As for subs, if your limited by your two picks, the SA is a better option then the DS18... Sundown atleast engineered the SA... DS-18 is strictly a remarketing company.
Not limited to those two. Just liked those from what I saw. Thanks for info on the kickers. Very appreciated

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.