Amp blowing fuses in hot wire??

blgaudio
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tennessee
I tried helping a boy with his system yesterday, he called me because he was having problems. I looked over his wiring, all looked good. Hooked battery back up, as soon as he turns the cd player on and the amp kicks on the motor bogs atleast 300rpms and then it pops the main fuse in the hot wire. Why is it ******* so much current? I've never heard of an 100amp fuse popping like that unless it was a direct short. He's got a run of 4 guage from battery, I inspected it from battery to amp no bare spots or anything that may cause him problems. It has a solid ground. Any ideas? Something wrong internally in the amp? This is the second amp the company has sent him because of defaults.

The amps a Kole Audio Q1-3000D, it has to be cheap because it doesn't even have fuses in the amp!? Ever heard of such? lol

This is a GUESS, amp im looking at doesnt have fuses either doesnt make it cheap its just they can draw a loooot of current. Dont know about this one. But my guess is its trying to power up but isnt getting the power it needs...like trying to **** power out of a coffee straw. Again that is my GUESS. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Okay, Just called my buddy who's got a local shop and he said those were pawn shop amps lol, i'm going to tell the boy to spend the cash and get a decent amp. Throw that piece of junk away.

This is a GUESS, amp im looking at doesnt have fuses either doesnt make it cheap its just they can draw a loooot of current. Dont know about this one. But my guess is its trying to power up but isnt getting the power it needs...like trying to **** power out of a coffee straw. Again that is my GUESS. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
**** it, fail!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Also might want to check the rating on the fuse, sometimes they throw the wrong one in. Of course it probably wouldn't slow the rpm's of the car if it was just that.

I just purchased 2 Amps from JL Audio, neither have fuses and thier great amps, They just have design features making it more desirable to fuse the feed line rather than the internals.

Okay, Just called my buddy who's got a local shop and he said those were pawn shop amps lol, i'm going to tell the boy to spend the cash and get a decent amp. Throw that piece of junk away.
I run pawn shop amps and subs in my rides and never have any troubles....they seem to get louder than most mainstream items out there...I have to buy the pawn shop brands because I can't afford the good stuff...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Unless he is running that amp @ 4ohms I bet it is drawing a decent amount more than 100Amps. I would be careful running 4ga with it.

I know Kole amps are overrated but I just read online that it uses the same board as the Soundstream PCA2000D which does 2000Wrms @ 1ohm. I would assume with 2000rms you would be drawing at least 150-200A. I doubt the amp is very efficient.

Don't melt that 4ga

I had a friend that bought some BOSS audio **** and volfenhag subs. He had a "3000Watt" amp running these woofers with 4ga wire ran from the battery. He didn't have a fuse so he just put a piece of metal or wire in the fuse holder and it melted the **** out of it. He then came and asked me for a fuse. All I had was an 80A and he went ahead and ran it with that.....LULZ

Just tell your friend to be careful. Since he already owns the amp he might as well see what he can do with it. Maybe it lowered the RPM's because the small wire is putting more of a load on the Alternator when it is getting Hot.

When the fuse blows.....do the RPM's go right back up?

That Kole amp is the same board as the Power Acoustik A3000dB, Planet Audio TT2250d, O2 Audio OAD3000.1 and quite a few other amps out there.

Its actually a solid amp, ~2000wrms @ 1ohm. It is likely fried, but I would bench test it to make sure. If he is going to throw it out, I'll pay shipping and $20 for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As for 'pawn shop amps'...lol.

I work at a pawn shop, we always get locals talking chit about us just carrying cheap stuff. They all see the words Pawn Shop and think CHEAP/Crap, Then they show up at SPL comps we host and get beat by 6db+++ in every class, Alway hilarious when we do a 2 DD512 build on 600w and it beats 2 Memphis M3's on 1200w, lol.

But I guess its not your 'normal' pawn shop, we carry DD, Arc, and dB Drive as our main lines. A little higher end that what most people expect to find in a pawn shop.

As for all the Power acoustic, spl, and kole audio stuff...yea if you have a tax-id# you can get them wholesale, but you can do the same thing online all day long.

Unless he is running that amp @ 4ohms I bet it is drawing a decent amount more than 100Amps. I would be careful running 4ga with it.
I know Kole amps are overrated but I just read online that it uses the same board as the Soundstream PCA2000D which does 2000Wrms @ 1ohm. I would assume with 2000rms you would be drawing at least 150-200A. I doubt the amp is very efficient.

Don't melt that 4ga

I had a friend that bought some BOSS audio **** and volfenhag subs. He had a "3000Watt" amp running these woofers with 4ga wire ran from the battery. He didn't have a fuse so he just put a piece of metal or wire in the fuse holder and it melted the **** out of it. He then came and asked me for a fuse. All I had was an 80A and he went ahead and ran it with that.....LULZ

Just tell your friend to be careful. Since he already owns the amp he might as well see what he can do with it. Maybe it lowered the RPM's because the small wire is putting more of a load on the Alternator when it is getting Hot.

When the fuse blows.....do the RPM's go right back up?
Thanks for the reply, yes as soon as the fuse pops the rpms return to normal. Its ******* way to much current. My "Guess" is that there is something wrong with the power supply with the amp. The boy has sent the amp back demanding a refund. This company has reviews of this issue all the time, they send out refurbished amps not knowing if they are good or not then the customer keeps juggling them back and forth till they get a good one. But what do you expect out of a 179 dollar amp? haha

I run pawn shop amps and subs in my rides and never have any troubles....they seem to get louder than most mainstream items out there...I have to buy the pawn shop brands because I can't afford the good stuff...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Haha I feel your pain, this was his quote. You got to remember this is coming from a car audio installer/dealer.

i shop at pawn shops all the time... alot of times you can find treasures that they dont know what it is so its cheap... the problem is definatly not the wire it may be small but that wouldnt cause your fuse to blow if it was bigger it would allow more current which means the fuse would blow faster... as far as no fuses on the amp that means nothing alot of good amps dont have fuses

I just wired two 1000 watt crunch amps with a 4 gauge wire, wired the capacitor in line, split the power to the two amps, connected the grounds at the cap and then grounded it to the frame, and I ended up blowing both fuses in the split...anybody got ideas? the two tens never even budged, the amps turned on for a second and then the fuses blew

I just wired two 1000 watt crunch amps with a 4 gauge wire, wired the capacitor in line, split the power to the two amps, connected the grounds at the cap and then grounded it to the frame, and I ended up blowing both fuses in the split...anybody got ideas? the two tens never even budged, the amps turned on for a second and then the fuses blew
1 this is a problem for your own thread, seeing that you only have one post im assuming that you have not made one, and just a small piece of information you may want to know, caps dont have grounds, the reason you blew your fuses is because you made a closed loop on the caps, your lucky the fuses is all you screwed up, the caps should only be on the + wire, run the grounds from the amp to the frame,

also throw the caps in the trash or sell them to a high school kid that doesnt know any better and buy a battery to put in the back, the cap is doing you no good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.