American Bass subs?

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
Either the tnt or xfl models based on wattage. Of course not knowing anything about them, curious to know if they are geared toward spl or sq.
What they sound like depends on the box you put them in and they are installed in the vehicle. The XFLs are the better series. They sound pretty good and get loud. 

winkychevelle

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jun 21, 2009
Ponchatoula, La
Either the tnt or xfl models based on wattage. Of course not knowing anything about them, curious to know if they are geared toward spl or sq.
Both of those will get loud but the xfl will typically sound better from my experience.

American is based on spl designs. They can sound good but they are not designed to be sound quality competition subs

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas
Almost all of there sub lines are sub $200 so there mostly used on budget builds. They consistently revise/update there design so they never fall too far behind from the rest of the brands. 

They mostly lean towards SPL but can sound okay daily on low tuned boxes with enough box space. 

TNT and XFL (the two you mentioned) are good if you want a sub that can take power, get loud, and sound okay in a good box. 

If you want more SQ then there XR and XD series are designed more for daily music. 

Jeremy11

Apr 13, 2018
Loganville,GA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well sounds like maybe these arent for me. I lean more to sq side, but definitely just daily driving and music, no competition here. Thank you for all the input.

yamomluvsme

itssobig
Dec 4, 2018
Unfortunately I don't have those answers at this time. Toying with getting a new car so I will be starting from scratch. Tired of dealing with a trunk. Thinking hatch or suv, seems the way to go.
Hatch!! Having a hatch is like having a wall

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
 @shredder2 is your guy for box designs. He has solid blueprints he can give ya for very reasonable prices
I just don't expect payment usually.. but hey, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised

I haven't heard that word around here too much lately... peeps... lol

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
I am a dummy whats inductance? And are these all specs that would be listed by a manufacturer?
The most basic way I can describe inductance is that it's an electromagnetic property and is an opposing force in the voice coil as it moves through the motor. Inductance affects transient response, the lower the inductance, the better the speaker will sound. All of those properties I mentioned earlier are expressed in the theile small parameters for a given speaker. 

Here is a more technical explanation that I found on a different site:

Inductance

In the audio world, the inductance of the voice coil plays a large role on the design of the speaker Now we are getting deeper into the speaker electrical characteristics. To get more of an idea on how inductance works, let’s try to explain electromagnetic inductance first.

Electromagnetic inductance is the relationship between moving electrons and magnetism :

• Moving electrons produce a magnetic field around the conductor.
  • Moving magnetic field makes electrons flow through a conductor.
For example : Imagine you have a coil of wire (the conductor) and a magnet that moves through the coil. This induces a voltage across the wire. As long as the magnet is moving, voltage is generated. Depending on the direction the magnet is moving, polarity of the voltage will be different.

Let’s take the other approach and apply a voltage through the coil. This will create a magnetic field around the coil and will act like a magnet. The magnetic field is intensified by increasing the number of spools on the coil. Doing so, we have created an inductor, which has a property called inductance.We measure inductance (L) in henrys.

Speaker electrical characteristics

How the speaker works is derived from this principle discussed earlier. The voice coil is surrounded by a permanent magnet, which is fixed. When you apply voltage to the coil, it generates a magnetic field, which interacts with the magnetic field of the fixed magnet. Because the audio signal is AC voltage, the coil will move up and down, depending on the polarity of the voltage. The cone of the speaker follows the movement of the coil and it produces sound.

If we look closely on how the voice coil of the speaker operates, we can see an interesting phenomenon. As the AC current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around it, which expands and collapses, following the alternating fashion of the current. This constant changing magnetic field induces a voltage across the coil. This happens because we satisfied the requirements for electromagnetic inductance : a conductor, a magnetic field, and a relative motion between them. The motion comes from the expanding and collapsing magnetic fields. This induces a voltage across the coil which opposes the applied voltage, reducing current flow. This opposition of current flow is called inductive reactance. The higher the alternating frequency, the higher the inductive reactance and so the opposition of current flow.

denim

SSAudio.com
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 16, 2002
SSA HQ East

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds