American Bass Subs/amps questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

CraigGSE
10+ year member

Let me first start by saying my name is Craig and i just joined the forums.

Im about to upgrade my system in my car right now im running two American bass DX 10s with a alpine mrp 500 in a dual chamber setup,each chamber is 1.5 cbft with a L vent tuned to 38 hrtz i had it built. Also for reference my big 3 has been done with 0 gauge welder power wire,i have replaced my alt with a bigger amperage alt from a impala police package car,its direct fit in my regal gse. Yeah it sounds pretty good but its time for more.

So my plans are this. First I wanna stay with American Bass. Bobs place is literately 40 minutes from me I went to him for my subs and i have went and BS'd with him a few times on my new plans.Also in case of warranty needs...40 minutes is much better then a few weeks...And im very impressed with the AB products so far. His insight is pretty good but i have been looking for some real world use possibly on the products im looking for to see what others thing.

So my plans are this. I plan to stick with 10s because either of the subs im looking at will work greatly in my box i have now. Im looking into American Bass XD 10s or American Bass TNTs. I am really leaning tords two American bass TNT's....They look pretty decent on paper and the videos i have seen on you tube...they tear it up! Now i know the TNTs have XFL motor structure and basket and XD soft parts but why i am torn is i want the most for my money and i just want to make sure i will be happier with my decision going with TNTs being the XDs do have a higher sensitivity,and less weight mass to move and so on in there specs.

Amp wise i am between the American Bass HD2500 or a VFL 100.1,im leaning tords the HD2500 only because in reviews i have found online the HD2500 seems to be more efficient on a 12 volt system then the VFL is and the HD2500 puts out 1250 RMS which would throw 625 at each TNT 10 which is perfect for there RMS ratings.

Any feed back from any of you about either of the subs im looking to buy,or either amp would be appreciated im a member on 2 other sites i wont say there names but there pretty big on ganging up on anything but "There brands" they want to use.....And i saw a lot of my reviews ive found about American bass products came from here so i hope to see some good feedback.Thanks--Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Any real world answers,stories about your experience with anything i asked about will be highly appreciated and if anyone else has questions..Ask away.

The install i am doing myself my budget is between 500-600. Going with the TNTs and the HD2500 keeps me under 600 the TNTs and a VFL 100.1 puts me a little over but no big deal on that. Now if i go with the XDs of course im quite a bit under 600 using the HD2500 and around the 600 mark with the VFL 100.1....I just dont know if the XDs could take that power or if they would be better then the TNTs due to the spec difference...Lower mass to move,higher sensitivity and so on...Or if the motor strength of the TNTs and higher power and xmax and such would make up for that and be louder.

My goal is to be as loud as possible for the money im spending and like i said id like to stick with American Bass because i go directly to Bob who owns American bass he is 40 minutes from me....Makes warranty issues quick and easy if i ever needed to use it..Which so far with his products ive yet to need to use it. I wont be doing SPL comps im going for a Daily that BANGS......Not really a SQ monster more SPL orientated but i still want it to sound good doing it. Also if this helps i plan to throw a 2nd battery in the back but that is about it and from what ive read the hd2500 is more efficient then the VFL 100.1 amps unless you are tossing a ton of voltage at them.

My box i got now is custom made it was not a pre fab box and Bob told me the box i got now with its specs would be a real good for either the Xds or the TNTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The XFLs take me quite a bit out of my price range.... I just cannot do it,id love to but i cannot do it i have other things i gotta do with the income taxes too LOL.

There are a few people in this area selling nice subs for cheap on craigslist. If the guy still has them there a set of sa 12's for $250 obo in parma. And another in mayfield you could try.

Used raises one issue...Warranty if ever needed to be used. Why i am sticking to American Bass because i can drive 40 minutes and get something replaced if need be. Sundown is awesome stuff heard it in person but new wise i could only afford the E series subwoofers and again it would take awhile to get warranty issues taken care of. I really do got my mind set on American bass...And it is pretty much either sub i mentioned and either amp i mentioned i just need alittle more advice/real world info on what im looking at to which way to go 100%.

yea me ,i'm also one of bobs distributors ,i like the vfl mini hybrid amps ,they are better than the hd amps and in a small package ,very little draw on the battery to.go with the tnt subs ,get a better box tho ,38 is a bit high for ab subs,if you make the box at 4 cubes and tuned at 33 hertz ,you'll be amazed at the out put these subs can give you .

tnt and xfl do not have the same motor structures.

the tnt really needs around 1000w to shine

the xd maxes out at about 500w

the xfl is great on 1500w

the hd sounds great on 2000w

my hd12 and the ph4000md cost right under 750 and its plenty loud enough

I don't see the VLF mini amps on the website to even know which to look at.... I just found out i got more then i thought coming at income taxes so i will be building a new box,going with the TNT's i decided that but now its all about a amp. Can you message me and tell me about the VLF Mini amps,like sizes and prices that would toss 800-1k to each TNT? I figure if i can toss 800 to 1k RMS to each TNT i should be doing pretty good...But remember this is a Daily Driver setup im not going for a spl comp car...yeah id like to goto a few shows and see what i can put down number wise but this setup will be really for daily driving...So with that being said i do not want to really over power the subs to much where i kill them much quicker..Unless the TNTs are really that much under rated.

have you gotten your system set up? im looking for a opinion on the tnt's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.