Amazing how the size of your vehicle can be the difference maker in being satisfied

What should I do?

• Get two 250 watt RMS 4 ohm subwoofers for a 2 ohm final impedance around 500 watts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay stock and keep listening to the SLP Powerflo exhaust like the past 4 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Participant count
  • Participant list

BreynnMike

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm in the process of building a system for my 2015 Camaro. I've been buying piece by piece to keep the price down. My wife has a 2017 Chevy Trax Premier with the Bose stereo, a Polk audio 12" subwoofer (Polk db1212 360 watts @ 2ohm) and a kicker mono amp (300 watt RMS @ 2 ohm). The combination of the factory Bose speakers, halfway decent sub (and was free, was in my Nissan) that is receiving somewhat respectable power from the amp (and the amp was only $60 online). Her little SUV slams hard and was cheap as heck to upgrade. But the Trax is small, lightweight, and not much body to rattle. My daily driver is a 2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV with the Bose 8 speaker premium system and the small Bose subwoofer in the center console. Last year I threw in two JBL 12" subs (250 watts RMS each, $100 for the pair) and a 500 watt mono JBL amp ($110 on Amazon). It sounds decent but the truck is huge and has a ton of airspace inside. The two 12s sound good but could be a little bit better. All in all it does sound good as a whole i suppose and most people are extremely impressed. Especially considering I spent less than $300 total. I just wish I would've thought harder about it and realized that such a large vehicle needs more than two budget 12's and 500 watts to shake it like the Trax. The Trax can practically fit into the back of the Escalade lol. So now the Camaro is the last one I need to purchase a sub or subs for. For one it's considerably heavier than the Trax. A subwoofer and amp were never a priority in the Camaro for me before. I didn't want to slow it down with extra weight and Ive always enjoyed hearing the beautiful tone of the SLP stainless exhaust. But last year, while doing my research and looking for good deals, I decided I'll do something after all. One of my man goals is to keep the weight down. I also don't want a big draw on the electrical system. But ultimately I don't want to be disappointed. I've got the wiring and an Alpine MRV-500 amplifier already. I figured that would be a halfway decent amp for the Camaro and I only paid $70 for it after using my Best Buy Rewards. The trunk opening in a fifth generation Camaro is not very large. A big box isn't an option. I have seen a few dual 10 and 12 inch custom boxes for Camaros. Does anybody here have subs in a newer Camaro? How does it sound? I could go with two 250 watt 4 ohm lower end subwoofers or a decent 400-500 watt 2 ohm sub. I know the extra sub alone moves more air and I'll be less likely to be disappointed. I was kinda thinking about doing an all Alpine setup since it is a nice car, I'm the original owner with no intention of selling it, and Alpine is quality that will last a long time. Does anybody have experience with the cheaper Alpine subwoofers such as the Alpine W12S4? Two of these are cheap. Obviously you get what you pay for. I don't know anybody that's ever rocked the budget Alpine sub. Two of these would be a decent wattage match. The Alpine S- series is approximately the same price for one. I'd save space and it'd weigh less. Anybody with feedback relating to Camaros please chime in. Thanks.

So you're thinking about going with something like this?

with the 2 Alpine 12's? For the money I don't see you getting much better at your price point.

You wont have to worry about any large draw on the electrical with the wattage you're planning on running.

Could go with 4 8's

or a single ported if you really want to maximize output. If you choose this route, you're going to want to go with a single 500w~ sub

I'm in the process of building a system for my 2015 Camaro. I've been buying piece by piece to keep the price down. My wife has a 2017 Chevy Trax Premier with the Bose stereo, a Polk audio 12" subwoofer (Polk db1212 360 watts @ 2ohm) and a kicker mono amp (300 watt RMS @ 2 ohm). The combination of the factory Bose speakers, halfway decent sub (and was free, was in my Nissan) that is receiving somewhat respectable power from the amp (and the amp was only $60 online). Her little SUV slams hard and was cheap as heck to upgrade. But the Trax is small, lightweight, and not much body to rattle. My daily driver is a 2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV with the Bose 8 speaker premium system and the small Bose subwoofer in the center console. Last year I threw in two JBL 12" subs (250 watts RMS each, $100 for the pair) and a 500 watt mono JBL amp ($110 on Amazon). It sounds decent but the truck is huge and has a ton of airspace inside. The two 12s sound good but could be a little bit better. All in all it does sound good as a whole i suppose and most people are extremely impressed. Especially considering I spent less than $300 total. I just wish I would've thought harder about it and realized that such a large vehicle needs more than two budget 12's and 500 watts to shake it like the Trax. The Trax can practically fit into the back of the Escalade lol. So now the Camaro is the last one I need to purchase a sub or subs for. For one it's considerably heavier than the Trax. A subwoofer and amp were never a priority in the Camaro for me before. I didn't want to slow it down with extra weight and Ive always enjoyed hearing the beautiful tone of the SLP stainless exhaust. But last year, while doing my research and looking for good deals, I decided I'll do something after all. One of my man goals is to keep the weight down. I also don't want a big draw on the electrical system. But ultimately I don't want to be disappointed. I've got the wiring and an Alpine MRV-500 amplifier already. I figured that would be a halfway decent amp for the Camaro and I only paid $70 for it after using my Best Buy Rewards. The trunk opening in a fifth generation Camaro is not very large. A big box isn't an option. I have seen a few dual 10 and 12 inch custom boxes for Camaros. Does anybody here have subs in a newer Camaro? How does it sound? I could go with two 250 watt 4 ohm lower end subwoofers or a decent 400-500 watt 2 ohm sub. I know the extra sub alone moves more air and I'll be less likely to be disappointed. I was kinda thinking about doing an all Alpine setup since it is a nice car, I'm the original owner with no intention of selling it, and Alpine is quality that will last a long time. Does anybody have experience with the cheaper Alpine subwoofers such as the Alpine W12S4? Two of these are cheap. Obviously you get what you pay for. I don't know anybody that's ever rocked the budget Alpine sub. Two of these would be a decent wattage match. The Alpine S- series is approximately the same price for one. I'd save space and it'd weigh less. Anybody with feedback relating to Camaros please chime in. Thanks.

Something to check on with the Camaro is that they're not pumping the car's engine noise into the cockpit with speakers. A subwoofer will ruin that and you may have to disable the feature if you don't want to deal with the potential feedback or obnoxious noises coming from the back. Most cars have ANC now, but sports cars often pipe audio in to give the owner feedback noise and a sense the engine is louder than it is without pissing off the neighbors and the EPA.

If you're okay with that I think that nauc's recommendation is better than Alpine personally for the price, but a matched Alpine sub will be just fine too. Your enclosure is far more important both for the sound and the weight. I'd stick with 1 sub if you're worried about weight and just focus on one which gives more excursion or if you can go up to a 15" to get more cone area. Not necessarily required at only 500W, but larger cone area woofers often give higher sensitivity. 500W isn't likely to be enough to do much for you in a sealed enclosure, so you'd probably be looking at a small ported enclosure if you're worried about weight. I think you should decide on the enclosure and subwoofer together, pay particular attention while shopping for the driver to the VAS values. Another option is to choose a woofer with a good reputation and near the right wattage range and ask for an enclosure design based on it, your car, and your music preferences. A lot of folks here have tons of experience on that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...