Am i dumb or what ??

JessyBoy86

Senior VIP Member
Im looking for a pair of good component speakers....i would like to run them active through a 4-channel amp but the thing is Crutchfield Canada don't sell seperate mid-woofers and tweeters, they sell only the complete passive setup with crossovers.....i don't wanna buy online from a US company cuz the exchange rate is pure crap for us in Canada.

So i was thinking of running a passive setup but i just can't find any amp that pull out at least 150W rms x 2 at 4 ohm without bridging them. I don't wanna bridge because i want a stereo setup.

I could just buy the passive setup and ditch the crossovers but it's unnecessary extra bucks.

I've been advise to buy NVX x-series speakers, wich is kinda impossible to buy in Canada from a candadian dealer....What about kicker KS ? i want real good bass, with the most low frequency response from the mid and real sharp tweeters, any suggestions ?

What would you guys do ? the speakers i'm looking for are around 115W rms for the mid and tweeter.....what amp would run this with the external crossovers ? there are many many different amp i could use to run them active through 4 channel but what about passive ?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a 6" woofer that'll hold even 75 watts if you plan to run full range or crossed above 65-80hz anyway.
i know i will be fine with a 75W x 4 or something like that if i run two tweeters and two mid-woofer active on the amp.....around 60W for the woofer and 65W for the tweeter so....

but if i want both the tweeter and the mid-woofer on the same channel with an external crossover i'm fucked....just can't find amps that support it without having to bridge.

i know i will be fine with a 75W x 4 or something like that if i run two tweeters and two mid-woofer active on the amp.....around 60W for the woofer and 65W for the tweeter so....
but if i want both the tweeter and the mid-woofer on the same channel with an external crossover i'm fucked....just can't find amps that support it without having to bridge.
You're gonna have to choose whether u wanna go passive or active. Can't have both at the same time. Either ditch your passive crossovers or use em. Simple as that. Practically any 4 ch amp will suffice for either job. Right now I'm running a 65w x4 active 2 way and tweeter gains are at 0, mid gains are at like maybe 10% and it is plenty loud for me. Yea buying components and going active is gonna mean ur wasting ur money on crossovers. You can sell them if they're of good quality. You should check the classified section often and ebay. I've been finding some bomb deals on some high end components lately.

You're gonna have to choose whether u wanna go passive or active. Can't have both at the same time.
yeah i know, what i'm saying is that i can't find amps that are minimum 150W x 2 or so, so i could run a pair of passive components.....since i won't bridge it, 75w x4 or x2 won't be enough for 115W rms speakers ( mid + tweeter). I was thinking of buying the components and still use the crossovers if i could find a amp that drives the speakers to their full potential, but can't find such an amp.

I guess i will buy component speakers, ditch the crossovers and go with a 75W x 4 then...

yeah i know, what i'm saying is that i can't find amps that are minimum 150W x 2 or so, so i could run a pair of passive components.....since i won't bridge it, 75w x4 or x2 won't be enough for 115W rms speakers ( mid + tweeter). I was thinking of buying the components and still use the crossovers if i could find a amp that drives the speakers to their full potential, but can't find such an amp.
I guess i will buy component speakers, ditch the crossovers and go with a 75W x 4 then...
How about this one?

Crescendo Audio Symphony S550.2 - 550 watt x 2 2 Channel - SSA STORE

It does 160w x 2 @ 4 ohms. Alittle pricey but would work excellent for your needs if you are set on using the passives.

I would also look into those beefy oldschool 2 ch's for cheap on craigslist, ebay, classified, etc. You might find a hidden gem somewhere u never know.

How about this one?
Crescendo Audio Symphony S550.2 - 550 watt x 2 2 Channel - SSA STORE

It does 160w x 2 @ 4 ohms. Alittle pricey but would work excellent for your needs if you are set on using the passives.

I would also look into those beefy oldschool 2 ch's for cheap on craigslist, ebay, classified, etc. You might find a hidden gem somewhere u never know.
I think OP has an issue with availability/exchange rate/shipping because he is in Canada. Otherwise there were some CT 2 channel amps on closeout for dirt cheap on this board recently. Pretty sure it was just his big mono amps that caught on fire so for the price they'd probably be as good as anything else China-made in that price range or better.

Personally I believe that after about 75W per side you really hit the point of diminishing returns trying to go bigger on components.

I would really prefer to go active, i just can't find seperate 6.5'' and tweeters without the crossovers....i'll just buy a complete setup with the crossovers and ditch them....i might need them one day.

Now i'd like to know what 6.5'' woofers and tweeters you guys would go for....

NVX X-series with 29mm tweeters seem to be awesome ! but pretty hard to find in canada....

what other speakers in that price range would be nice ?

You really don't need 150W x 2. Yes, 75W x 4 to run mids and tweeters active will do just fine, but you must have the right crossovers to do it with both good sound and reliability to not smoke the tweeters.

Another note that was already touched on: 6.5" speakers are not going to play bass. It's not clear what your overall system will be eventually, but you need to add a subwoofer to get real bass. Generally speaking, if you want it loud on a budget you will be crossing the 6.5s at roughly 80-100 Hz, and a subwoofer will play everything below that. Some people will cross 6.5" woofers below 80 Hz, but there is always a compromise. In my experience that sacrifices midbass punch, distortion increases dramatically, and you add to the risk of over-excursion which can cause damage.

Option 1) Get a passive 2-way component set, get a good quality 4-channel amplifier, bridge the amp and upgrade to an active setup later.

Option 2) Again, get a passive 2-way component set, get a 4-channel amplifier with bandpass crossover capability for the mid-woofers and a x10 switch to cross the tweeters, leave the passive crossovers in the box and add a DSP to tune it all.

Depending on the amplifier and the way your factory audio system works, you may or may not need a converter like the LC6i.

You really don't need 150W x 2. Yes, 75W x 4 to run mids and tweeters active will do just fine, but you must have the right crossovers to do it with both good sound and reliability to not smoke the tweeters.
Another note that was already touched on: 6.5" speakers are not going to play bass. It's not clear what your overall system will be eventually, but you need to add a subwoofer to get real bass. Generally speaking, if you want it loud on a budget you will be crossing the 6.5s at roughly 80-100 Hz, and a subwoofer will play everything below that. Some people will cross 6.5" woofers below 80 Hz, but there is always a compromise. In my experience that sacrifices midbass punch, distortion increases dramatically, and you add to the risk of over-excursion which can cause damage.

Option 1) Get a passive 2-way component set, get a good quality 4-channel amplifier, bridge the amp and upgrade to an active setup later.

Option 2) Again, get a passive 2-way component set, get a 4-channel amplifier with bandpass crossover capability for the mid-woofers and a x10 switch to cross the tweeters, leave the passive crossovers in the box and add a DSP to tune it all.

Depending on the amplifier and the way your factory audio system works, you may or may not need a converter like the LC6i.
well ,that's a pretty thorough explaination ! thanks !

The thing is, i can't install a subwoofer in the car because i bought this grand caravan to get all the space i need for everything and anything....

but i want a decent sound system so bad. I just hate OEM sound system, they sound like crap and just can't turn it up loud !

i used to have two coaxial 6.5'' alpine type R run with alpine MRV F300 bridged 2 x 100W with a 12'' audiobahn eternal series run with alpine MRV-M500 and this setup was just fine to me...but did notice the lack of bass coming from the 6.5''....Thought that it might be because they were poorly mounted in the doors and cuz they were coaxial.

So, what i'm looking for is a front stage only system but with pretty ''decent'' bass. What about 6x9 ? i see there are not many model sold in component format, is there a reason ?

So, what i'm looking for is a front stage only system but with pretty ''decent'' bass. What about 6x9 ? i see there are not many model sold in component format, is there a reason ?
It's an under-served market. Thanks to CDT Audio we have a large selection of 6x9 component sets. I'm sure we could get a good set lined up for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JessyBoy86

Senior VIP Member
JessyBoy86
Montreal,Qc
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from