Alternator Wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

qtipextra
5,000+ posts

The Original
Im doing a home made project using an old lawn mower engine and an alternator to charge 12v batteries.

I have a CS130 Delco Remy alternator which I am trying to figure out how to wire up. Its a CS style alt, so it has the case as ground, a battery out post, and then a plug with 4 additional wires, labeled S,F,L,P.

My issue is I cant figure out how to wire the the alternator's field coil. All the applications that I have seen show it in a vehicle wiring scheme with all the vehicle wiring in tact. I am trying to figure out how to get it running out of a vehicle.

I know that the S (sense or regulator monitor wire) should go to the 12v out terminal.

Can anyone help shed some light on how to hook up the field coil to the battery to get the alt to turn on? I will be using a 30 watt, 30 ohm resistor in series with the field coil.

The best diagram I have found is attached below. But this makes no sense to me. It has only positive connections. At first I though that the field coil would have an internal connection to ground. However, my dmm revealed infinite resistence between the L terminal and the ground of the case. Maybe the alt has a rotary switch which will only engage the field coil when the alt is spinning?

View attachment 26521367

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.