Alternator whine

Participant count
  • Participants list

Jjoosshhuuaa10

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I'm honestly just looking to bounce ideas off of yall.

I recently ran new wire from my doors to my door amp and I started getting an alternator whine.

I narrowed it down to one speaker. When I unplug the rca the whine is gone and none of the other speakers are affected. I swapped that rca cable with the next channel over to see if it was the amp channle and the whine came back. I'm about 90% sure that it's the rca cable because I've regrounded my entire set up including the head unit. My only other guess is that the noise filter on the HU rca port has gone out.

Any input is appreciated

Get rid of that noise filter....does more harm than good And yes RCA's can go bad. You can buy some new ones for fairly cheap, doesn't have to be expensive from http://www.knukonceptz.com

Typically alt whine is caused by bad ground or bad RCA's. I had one where it was neither. It was the HU, whenever someone has a high powered system, the ground wire inside the HU can become lose thus creating the bassheads known enemy, which is alt whine.

The power wires are on the opposite side of the car and I've regrounded the HU and as I e previously mentioned I've regrounded my entire system. I bought a new set of stinger RCAs and I'm gonna slap them in today and see if that fixes it

Get rid of that noise filter....does more harm than good And yes RCA's can go bad. You can buy some new ones for fairly cheap, doesn't have to be expensive from http://www.knukonceptz.com

Typically alt whine is caused by bad ground or bad RCA's. I had one where it was neither. It was the HU, whenever someone has a high powered system, the ground wire inside the HU can become lose thus creating the bassheads known enemy, which is alt whine.

I thought that it might be the HU inside ground too so I grounded the RCA Jack's on the HU and I still have the same issue

So a little update.
I installed new RCAs
A new ground wire and it took care of alternator whine.
I still have a high pitch whine when I let off the gas and a little bit of buzzing any time I hit the break pedal.

I also had the power roll from one side of the car to the other. The left side got really quiet but not off and the right felt like it doubled up on volume randomly while driving.

I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a bad amp now. I feel like I have a few issues going on at once and it threw me for a loop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.