Alternator suggestion?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
If I am running the following amps, what size alternator do I need?

Vehicle is a 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Amp 1 - Teramps Smart 3 (3k watts will possibly be running an FI Neo 3.5)

Amp 2 - US Accoustics Barbara Ann (700 watts to fronts)

Upgraded battery a year ago to a
Product main large

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery: H7 Group Size, 850 CCA, 1000 CA, 140 Min Reserve Capacity, For High Electrical Demands​

I completely agree with Some Dude. I run 3 amplifiers on a system that after evaluating the average current draw, did not need the 250A upgrade. I run a AudioControl ACM 4.300, a Focal FDP 4.600 and a DS18 Hooligan 3K, a DM810, a 2nd battery, a 40AH AGM and a 10 farad stinger hybrid cap (because I had it laying around) and even when showcasing it for the few times a year that someone wants to see what it can do rarely hit above a 60 amp draw. Regular daily driving, 15 to 25 with 40 amp peaks if that. for most people this is a good video that explains what to expect.

Are there times in the summer when I have the AC and everything going, sure, but it's momentary and again, 95% of the time, the momentary extra out put inmost cases would best addressed by additional storage capacity (Li-on if you can afford it - also costly but easier to accomplish) as opposed to the expensive proposition of putting in and upgraded alternator.

there's really no room up in the engine bay for another battery. So, I would need to wire it back to the cargo area. If I can get away with not having to add anything, that would be great. I played my old setup fairly loud for 6-10 hours a day, on a three day total trip from Oregon to Texas in the winter last year and I don't recall dimming or the teramps shutting down. Keeping in mind, it was colder temps. Installing a larger alternator doesn't seem to be that difficult of a job. I have installed a handful of replacement alternators in previous vehicles with no problems. However, I did end up pinching a "body harness wire" in this Jeep by just moving the driver's seat during amp install and it cost me $1k (fried ecu). I will see how things go with the system when I get everything in.

You will never draw 320 amps of current for your 3700 watts.

I ran a 2500 watt amplifier with a 60amp fuse for 2 years.

Now I'm at 3500 total watts, I have a 150amp alternator and a 80AH AGM. My voltage stays above 13v.

I say run your new equipment and see how your voltage does. You might find you don't need to upgrade anything.
That's not the way Ohm's Law works.

320amps is based on the amps producing 3700 watts.
an amp efficiency of 80%, &
voltage of 14.4
What part of the math do you have a problem with?
- If you have a problem with the math, then use complete thoughts and discuss. Otherwise you're just saying no, claiming BS, and contradicting Ohm's Law.

Here's the smart 3 that requires a 300 amp fuse.
1699823537256.png

You could put a 10K watt amp in there, and if you're only using a 60 amp fuse, then at 14v you're producing less than 840watts.

Your math might make a lot more sense when playing a Sin wave.

Music doesn't draw near as much current. Hence why I was able to keep a 60amp fuse intact for 2 years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...