Alternator questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

cfox10
10+ year member

Rock the house.
Is it possible to use an Alt from another vehicle in another?

I've asked a couple of places but they don't carry an alt for me and the other places I've asked that might have one don't carry one that puts enough power out.

This is the first step in my build. I have everything else but I don't want to build and put in equipment without the alt in. I want to make sure my electrical is nice and beefy.

How much did you pay? I have about 600 dedicated for my electrical and hope that's enough (not including wire) if I need to up it I can.

depends on the car , but some cars yes.i had a chevy alt in my 4 runner

My Mazda b2600i. I've asked before but still haven't gotten far with info. It's got a single v belt system? I've been told.

I was told I would need to do a full conversion to a serpentine style belt in order to go higher than 100amp on the alt?

I'm running two 2500w rms monoblocks at 2ohm each and a 200 rms x 2 channel amp to my front speakers. The stock alt is only 70amps which is not going to even power one monoblock well.

Don't know who told you that. My old teammate had a b2000 with 2. 300 amp 1 wire Chevy alts you just need the alt , plug ,and a longer belt from what he said

Don't know who told you that. My old teammate had a b2000 with 2. 300 amp 1 wire Chevy alts you just need the alt , plug ,and a longer belt from what he said
I'll look into the 1 wire chevy alts. About how much did he pay for those if you know? and would one of those be enough for me with some batteries and 2/0 g?

&& I don't understand why a conversion to serpentine belt would make a difference but I was told the belt style that is stock would slip. I think I would be fine with the stock size belt with just one alt? and hopefully not many mods to mount it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in

p.s. I've contacted mechman, tenney, dc, and exessive. The only one to get back to me was mechman. They want 649 for a 240 amp. That seems a bit steep and not enough power?

Excessive Amperage

Ask them about it. They have good prices and great alts.

Mechman is pretty much the most expensive, I am not getting one from them due to price. They want 550 for a 170 alt when EA can do a 200 for 285.

DCPower is also a place you should look into, and also Tenny alts.

I got a quote from tenney, but it was for a 170a, I asked if he had higher output ones. Also got in contact with excessive to see what they can do. Hopefully I can find one closer to 300 in case I ever upgrade.

I'll look into the 1 wire chevy alts. About how much did he pay for those if you know? and would one of those be enough for me with some batteries and 2/0 g?
&& I don't understand why a conversion to serpentine belt would make a difference but I was told the belt style that is stock would slip. I think I would be fine with the stock size belt with just one alt? and hopefully not many mods to mount it.

Hopefully someone else can chime in
those v-belts don't have a lot of contact area on the pulley, more prone to slipping once a load is place on the alt...regular serpentine belt (6rib or 8rib) has a lot more contact area on the belt, wont slip

those v-belts don't have a lot of contact area on the pulley, more prone to slipping once a load is place on the alt...regular serpentine belt (6rib or 8rib) has a lot more contact area on the belt, wont slip
If I go with a conversion, I'm looking at 6-800, right?

probably ,the v belt may work tho ,its something you'd have to try first ,if you can get the belt tight enough then you should be good.did you ask about using the standard 1 wire chevy alt or did they say its would be a specific alt for mazda.if you can use the chevy alt i'll sell you my 260 amp for 275 shipped ,it's only 4 months old .

probably ,the v belt may work tho ,its something you'd have to try first ,if you can get the belt tight enough then you should be good.did you ask about using the standard 1 wire chevy alt or did they say its would be a specific alt for mazda.if you can use the chevy alt i'll sell you my 260 amp for 275 shipped ,it's only 4 months old .
I'm gonna have to give it a look pretty soon and see for myself if a one wire will work because these alt. companies aren't very good answering follow up questions.. Where is your alt from? How many amps at idle?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.