Digital Sound Processor?????

Roland
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Atlanta
Building my system from scratch and reading in this Forum that a Digital Sound Processor can be a very good thing to have in a system.

The problem i have is knowing what kind to get. The prices are all over the place. I don't know what to even look for in buying one of these. So my question is,

1. Is there a good entry level (cheep) DSP that can get me started in understanding what they can actually do for my sound?

2. Do i have to have a special head-unit to optimize the DSP

Note i was looking at the Alpine PXA-H100 IMPRINT DSP

Stuff i have already received for my system in my 2001 Honda Oddyssey

1. Rockford Fosgate T2652-S (front speakers, tweeters in dashboard corners turned up into windshield, mid/bass in lower doors )

2. Kno Knoise Kolossus Edition 2 Door Kit 14sq ft

3. Karma SS 16 Gauge Speaker Wire & StreetWires ZN9435 interconnects

4. Alpine Alpine CDE-HD137BT headunit (may have to upgrade this?? only 2 volt outs)

5. Have not ordered amp yet, but im considering

Precision Power PPI P900.4 or Precision Power PPI BK800.4 or Clarion XH5410 (all under my $250ish budget)

6. I will be without a subwoofer for a while i need to save up some more for that it will need a custom box that will go between my 2 front seats. The back area is all work tools and equipment no sound stuff except 2-4" speakers

You could buy my Audiocontrol DQXS with DCC thats for sale, though its about $150 more than you want to spend.

In all honestly you need to see what your current hu has for an eq. For daily setups you can get away with a decent 8 band eq that many hu's have. The 2v out is ok, just would need to turn gain up more than you would with 4v.

If you want to dive in balls deep, look up the miniDSP. There's no autocalibration on that thing, so you'll be teaching yourself manual DSP and EQ adjustment, but the miniDSP has all of that. Otherwise, you're looking for more around the 500-dollar price point.

Upgrade the head unit to one with DSP built in, like a Pioneer PRS80.
Pioneer DEH-80PRS CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
^^^This

What you should also do, though, is not ride on the hearsay of a bunch of people on this forum (aka it's not gospel truth). A lot of users have extensive experience designing and building systems, so they really know how to make DSPs compliment their systems. Start first on proper installation and setup, then worry about a DSP.

Just because it's SQ doesn't mean it has to be expensive.....almost said that with a straight face.

Yeah, maybe i should just upgrade the HU to the Alpine CDE-HD138BT it has "Selectable 5-band OR 7-band parametric equalizer with 11 selectable tone curves (10 Preset, 1 User)"

$500 is out of the budget for now, I should probibly get the sub woofer before considering a DSP.

Thanks for the info guys

Id also consider changing tweeter location. reflecting off the windshield can cause issues, as well as a harsh sound making high volume fatiguing. Play around with two sided tape to find optimal location. Find an amp with good crossover or an active ready hu time alignment is a little further on but like suggested the prs80 is active ready has time alignment and 16 band eq. Check around on ebay they can be bought for under 300 new.

I do have thought about 2 possible locations in the doors uper section of the arm rests and window frame front corners. I was concerned about that factory location thanks for that suggestion.

The pioneer Prs80 is about as high as i want to go $300-350, so i will look at that one also. Thanks again good stuff.

So I think i understand the DSP a little better now. So please correct me if im wrong. because i have component speakers I will need 3 amp sections for any DPS to work. One for the Tweeters, one for the Mids, and one for the Sub. This would also apply to the Prs80 also,Right???.

So I think i understand the DSP a little better now. So please correct me if im wrong. because i have component speakers I will need 3 amp sections for any DPS to work. One for the Tweeters, one for the Mids, and one for the Sub. This would also apply to the Prs80 also,Right???.
That's correct. For around $200 you could get the Clarion CZ702. It doesn't give you separate left and right EQ but it will be a lot easier to use than the 80PRS, as well as freeing up ~$150, which you can always find a way to spend elsewhere. It has Parrot Bluetooth.

I have the P900.4 in stock as well as the CZ702, btw.

I do have thought about 2 possible locations in the doors uper section of the arm rests and window frame front corners. I was concerned about that factory location thanks for that suggestion.
My tweeters bounce off my windshield and sound just fine. The only thing I've done is use the EQ on my head unit and turn the highest frequency band down one click (which is -2dB).

That's correct. For around $200 you could get the Clarion CZ702. It doesn't give you separate left and right EQ but it will be a lot easier to use than the 80PRS, as well as freeing up ~$150, which you can always find a way to spend elsewhere. It has Parrot Bluetooth.
I have the P900.4 in stock as well as the CZ702, btw.
Thanks for the sugestions.

I think at this point the Pioneer DEH-80PRS "3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ, Auto Time Alignment" seems very appealing to me, (even thought i have never actually heard one) I guess i will be going over budget again:suicide: . AND I will be giving up my HD radio also:( .

The Massive Audio NX5 at $300-ish may be a good 5 channel choice to make this work. I do want just 1 amp that is small enough to fit under my seat. Any other suggestion on a amp would be appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.