Alternator question

Onebadaudi
10+ year member

Firstly, problem fixed about the light issue- Amp was clipping like a mother.

Second, heres my question

--Setup--

2002 audi b6 a4

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd Head unit

2 Sets of Jl Audio c250 components

12 w7 in prowedge box

500.1 Jl amp (soon to be 1000.1)

mtx jack hammer JH404 4 channel for components

4 gauge wire for both amps

tied to a Shuriken sk bt-20, 20 amp battery

3 inline fuses

Stock alt, regular battery up front

Here is my question. Will the stock alt hold up for about 1200-1400 watts. I believe the stock alt for a B6 a4 is 150amps but thats not idle amps.( not sure on that)

Heres a pic of the trunk almost done

DSCN1814.jpg

Thats the 10 i had, the 12 is in now

and i dont think so...you might need a new amp... how many batts you got? big 3 done? im to lazy to read your post so idk if you already said what your electrical is

If indeed the alt is 150 amp, at idle the current is likely half that. your car will draw most of that. so I would say your alternator is too weak, at least at idle anyways. keep the volume down at idle until you get a higher powered alt.

why would he need a new amp? maybe im missing some of this story but i dont see how that would effect anything.

thanks for the input, im going to put in the 1000/1 and stick a volt meter on my batterys and see how bad the draw is going to be. Im going to do it with the lights and heat on and no lights or heat on. See what my results yield

If indeed the alt is 150 amp, at idle the current is likely half that. your car will draw most of that. so I would say your alternator is too weak, at least at idle anyways. keep the volume down at idle until you get a higher powered alt.
why would he need a new amp? maybe im missing some of this story but i dont see how that would effect anything.
my bad i meant new alt lol

I ran my AP1500 on 4 gauge with my stock 150a alt for four months before she started dying, now I've got a DB Electrical 250a and don't drop below 13.9 @ idle or 14.5 @ 1.2k rpm.

^^ **** 14.5, thats what im talking about.

Glad to know about the stock alt to...thanks

im curious if they make a alternator for my car, that is a issue i have been running into.

really? a 150 is pretty **** big for a car and there is no way the car uses all of that. But you are borderline for what i would say requires a bigger alt. Its up to you.. you could run it for months and not have a problem but if you want to get a HO its definately not going to hurt. and that tiny batt in back is not doing a whole lot for you. i assumed you meant 20ah which isnt much

^ Thanks

I talked to Quality powered autos and they make HO Audi Alternators (250) and i asked what the Idle output was and they said 140amps, and 250 at 2200 rpms. Perrrrrrrrrrfect

So im gonna blast and be smart until my alt dies, then pick one of these bad boys up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.