Alternator power?

Participant count
  • Participant list

chickenhunter
10+ year member

NYC
im dropping in a decent sound system in my old 1968 plymouth fury but to power it all i figured i needed about a 90 amp alternator (i think it has about 30 amps now). so i went down to the local auto parts place and asked for one and they said the highest i could get for my engine (straight 6) was 60 amps. anyone know if this is true? if so will 60 amps be enough? can i keep my old alternator in too and run both? if not, where could i get an alternator good enough?

thanks

The 60 should be fine. If you get a second battery that is. If you wire the amps to your one battery it could drain it and the alt wouldn't charge it.

I think 60 is good for your app, but like I said a second battery wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure, but the guy might be sayin that b/c orig. factory specs call for the bigges alternator being 60 amps. How do ya think guys w/ CRX's (for ex.) hook up high output 200+ amp alternators in them to power their systems. Factory max (again for ex.) prob calls for no bigger than a 90 amp alt., depending on power options. A '68 plymouth wouldn't have high drain options like an A/C or whatever, thus the smaller alt. Possibly it is the size as well, but that is prob unlikely. Those cars are pretty **** big... plenty of room for expansion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.