Alternator Help

DB187

>NOOB DISCLAIMER

Hey, Im new to the forums. Long time reader, first time poster. I just got a pair of HDC3 12s and a aq2200d from a friend. I have a 2011 honda civic. I want to do all the installation myself with the help of another friend. I was told I'd need a new alternator if I want to run this system by a guy at my local shop. When I went to look at alternators I was given a $700 estimate (not including labor) for the alternator I would need. I knew I'd have to upgrade some stuff but I didn't think it would be $700+. What should I do? Help much appreciated!

If Jim (mylows10) sells you a 180a Singer alternator, you should be good for power. That is, assuming, you have the correct wire (big 3, power, etc.) in your car?

>NOOB DISCLAIMER
Hey, Im new to the forums. Long time reader, first time poster. I just got a pair of HDC3 12s and a aq2200d from a friend. I have a 2011 honda civic. I want to do all the installation myself with the help of another friend. I was told I'd need a new alternator if I want to run this system by a guy at my local shop. When I went to look at alternators I was given a $700 estimate (not including labor) for the alternator I would need. I knew I'd have to upgrade some stuff but I didn't think it would be $700+. What should I do? Help much appreciated!
Take your alternator to a local alternator and starter service shop and see how big they can make it with new windings. It'll be quite a bit cheaper.

Singer or Ohio generator are the only two alternators I will ever run. DC as well but they don't have as much of a selection
I worked at a shop locally here and the alternator shop here used to wind stock Honda alts up to 180 amps for about 200 bucks with a 2 year warranty. So for the same price as buying an high output alt you could do that, big 3 and put a monster battery in your car and be more than fine. I would go that route if your budget is at crunch time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.