Big 3 install, alternator bolt/but is much smaller than copper lug?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jrdnhsnbrg
10+ year member

Pimped my grandma's ride
I bought a big 3 kit and a bunch of wire off @mylows10 ; and am more than happy with it, it's HUGE wire and great quality work done by him. Anyways, when I went to install it tonight, I realized that the copper lug used is waaaaay bigger than the terminal on my alternator is. Anyone have any work-around or ran in to this issue themself? I'm at a loss as to what I can do. I can post pictures if necessary.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks

[quote name='jrdnhsnbrg']I bought a big 3 kit and a bunch of wire off @mylows10 ; and am more than happy with it, it's HUGE wire and great quality work done by him. Anyways, when I went to install it tonight, I realized that the copper lug used is waaaaay bigger than the terminal on my alternator is. Anyone have any work-around or ran in to this issue themself? I'm at a loss as to what I can do. I can post pictures if necessary.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks[/QUOTE] - When you say "waaaaay bigger" are you referring to the hole size dia. of the lug in comparison to the stud size dia. of you alt post? If that is the problem they make lugs with all different size of dia. holes for any gauge of wire... Get one that fits - Until then if there is room - Just use a washer over the lug (and under if necessary) before you install the nut :cool:

- When you say "waaaaay bigger" are you referring to the hole size dia. of the lug in comparison to the stud size dia. of you alt post? If that is the problem they make lugs with all different size of dia. holes for any gauge of wire... Get one that fits - Until then if there is room - Just use a washer over the lug (and under if necessary) before you install the nut //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
The hole in the lug is much bigger than the stud, yes. Also, there is a little black plastic "seat" that the OEM ring terminal sits in, it's not a flat spot. Should I take a dremel to it to sand it down flat? The lug he used is much bigger than the plastic lips, so to speak.

The hole in the lug is much bigger than the stud, yes. Also, there is a little black plastic "seat" that the OEM ring terminal sits in, it's not a flat spot. Should I take a dremel to it to sand it down flat? The lug he used is much bigger than the plastic lips, so to speak.
OK - well can't you just put a washer or spacer over the stock wire lug and then put this one for your big 3 on top of that then? That's what I'd do - provided the stud is long enough...

I don't think the stud is long enough for that, the lugs he used are some really thick copper, high quality stuff. Maybe I'll just wait on installing the alt cable until I can afford a HO alt, picking up a Super Start Platinum battery from O'Reilly's tomorrow

I don't think the stud is long enough for that, the lugs he used are some really thick copper, high quality stuff. Maybe I'll just wait on installing the alt cable until I can afford a HO alt, picking up a Super Start Platinum battery from O'Reilly's tomorrow
I had the same issue when I had my stock alt and clipped the plastic .. It was the only way I was getting it on .. I would use some wire snips or whatever you think will be easiest

well if you can't fit onother lug on the stud and still be able to secure your nut you could look into a threaded extender like this
pre102116.jpg
put that in place of your nut and then use a bolt to secure your additional connections - IF you have clearance where your alt is mounted to even do something like that... Can't say for sure what the best solution is to your issue really w/o seeing the situation up close - But when there's a will there is a way, get creative //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

well if you can't fit onother lug on the stud and still be able to secure your nut you could look into a threaded extender like this
pre102116.jpg
put that in place of your nut and then use a bolt to secure your additional connections - IF you have clearance where your alt is mounted to even do something like that... Can't say for sure what the best solution is to your issue really w/o seeing the situation up close - But when there's a will there is a way, get creative //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
Mmm, that's definitely an idea if Jim can't come up with a better one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.